Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
Hey all,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update;

After days of monitoring its progress all the way from Shanghai, China - my MacBook Pro arrived on Friday. We're now 3 days in and so far I'm extremely happy!

First of all, after watching a few unboxing videos I knew what to expect but it still didn't prepare me for what was in store.. before we even get to the system itself I've got to say it came in the most amazing, clear and attractive packaging that I have ever seen. It wasn't only myself that noticed, there were clear gasps around the room as I began to open the box and slowly reveal the beauty that is the MBP;

Once I had set up the system and done a bit of browsing and downloading of some key applications I decided to do some benchmark and performance tests;

Performance Tests

Boot Time: 27-31 Seconds
NovaBench Score: 1249
Geekbench Score: 12040
Static Temperature: 36 Degrees (I'm not 100% sure what the main temp is that I have to monitor while the system is running, I've downloaded the "Temperature Monitor" app and this is the temp that it says there however I believe that its referring to the Heatsink temp?)

Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Classic
2.6GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
750GB SATA HD 7200RPM

In regards to the CPU Core temperatures, while the system is almost idle they sit at around 52 degrees.

Gaming Performance (So Far)

So as I mentioned in the start of my previous thread, I've not been looking for an ultimate gaming system and I definitely didn't want to get a desktop computer again although I do enjoy some casual gaming through Steam and on such games as Diablo III, LoL etc;

As it stands I've only tested the system on a handful of games and once again have been surprised;

First of on on Diablo III on mostly high settings the FPS has been stable at 60, occasionally dropping and jolting as I entered new areas within the game but this is to be expected. All in all the game itself seems to run extremely well and smooth although I am only in the initial levels of the game so it may become a bit slower as I start dealing with larger groups of mobs on screen.

While playing Diablo III the fans do occasionally kick in, its only happened around 3-4 times that was noticeable but its not been a distracting or horrible sound, if anything it just felt like the system was calmly telling me that it was working just a little bit harder! These moments of the fans being noticeable only lasted for around 15-30 seconds then they would stop which was impressive as I expected them to kick in as soon as I loaded the game up but they only seem to come on at certain points which is impressive

After 40 minutes of gameplay the top left of the MacBook Pro got slightly warm but nothing serious at all (This once again is a pleasant surprise as I couldn't even browse the internet on my last laptop while it was on a flat surface as it would overheat and shut down after around 30 minutes of use!)

I checked the CPU Core Temperature as soon as I quit the game and I believe that they was sitting around the 73 - 86 degrees mark which as far as I'm aware isn't too bad at all!

LoL & Half Life 2 Gameplay

I've also played some League of Legends via iLoL and on high settings the fps sits at around 60 and may occasionally drop to 40-50 in big fights, all in all a very smooth and fun gameplay experience.

Additionally I've tested Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Death Match and the fps while playing (although its not capped) sits at 60 and has dropped / lagged slightly when loading up new areas to around 30-50.

I've tested out some other basic applications, done some casual browsing, a little bit of gaming and as it stands am truly incredibly impressed;

All of you was absolutely right, it is a beautiful system and machine and seeing the Apple logo light up as the system begins to boot is amazing!

Over the coming days I will be hoping to test some additional software as well as a few more games. Should the results prove positive (Which I'm confident they will) I am considering doing a full YouTube gaming review of the system but depending on time I may post the results either in this thread or in a brand new one to give others who have been curious like me some clear, concise and updated info about the gaming capabilities of the machine!

If anyone would like to know how other games run on the system then please drop me a message and let me know and Ill either post direct feedback on here or I could always try and do a video review :)

Day 3 down, 11 to go! :)

More updates to follow - watch this space! :apple:

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Year OSX ?

That's kind of obvious, isn't it? The machine just came in new from china, so it has mountain lion and is a 2012 model. The model year is also directly clear from the graphics card... there are only so many combinations of MBPs available from Apple.

@OP

Thanks for the informative post. I didn't know it was possible to play LoL on OSX.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
That's kind of obvious, isn't it? The machine just came in new from china, so it has mountain lion and is a 2012 model. The model year is also directly clear from the graphics card... there are only so many combinations of MBPs available from Apple.

@OP

Thanks for the informative post. I didn't know it was possible to play LoL on OSX.

No its not obvious , he never stated and just because he received it direct from china means little, he could have bought a refurb 2011 that would not come with ML but anyways I was asking the OP thanks for your input

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I believe we have the same exact MBPs.

I can play WoW on all high settings, some maxed, and get 80+, sometimes 90+ fps. The lowest I've seen it is mid 60s in a "laggy" area (lots of players, mobs, rendering, etc). I'm very satisfied with my MBP, too (I've only had it for less than a week now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.