Macbook pro 15" getting slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddany, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ddany macrumors member

Hi guys!
    I have a mid-2010 MBP i7 2,66ghz 15".
    I have put SSD 128gb, and 8gb memory in. (SSD 2yrs old, memory 3months)

Now I am experiencing some problems with the machine. It's getting slow way faster than before, even if i have 2-2,5gb memory free.
    Plus, In safari/firefox (in both) sometimes when i type, it displays very very slow each charachter. I type in 2 words, but i have to wait 4-5secs for it to be displayed on the screen. I thought it was a memory problem, but i checked it, and it happened when i had 3gbs of ram free.
    I shut it down more often than before, but still, i have these problems like every day.

I usually delete cache, and clean up browser data, i have 30gb free space on my SSD, and hardly use all of the memory.

What is happening to my macbook? Is it getting old? :-(

2. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

Try creating a test user and see if the same thing happens there:
    System preferences/users/click the plus button. Log out of your user and log into the new user and test to see if the issue is system wide.

Be sure all your important data is backed up first and foremost.

3. chostwales macrumors member

Could be your SSD. How full is it?

SSDs are great. But realistically they don't last as long as nor HDD. You'd be amazed how slow an SSD can get after a while.

4. ddany thread starter macrumors member

30gb free of 128

5. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

6. chostwales macrumors member

My bet is that your SSD is coming to the end of its days (i.e the free nodes (or what ever there called in an SSD) are getting less/less available (even though you have 30gb free)… therefore your OS is have to spend time finding free nodes available to save data to which is causing thing to slow down).

Also do you have spotlight cacheing? If so… TURN IT OFF! That sped things up dramatically for me.

Do the test and see what it comes back with. If I were you, make a full time machine backup.. replace the drive, reinstall the os and restore from time machine (option selected from when reinstalling the os). It will put EVERYTHING back to have it was… applications, licence keys, etc etc… It's truly is amazing actually (i replace my SSDs after about 12-18 months). Even if the drive is fine… Still always good to make a backup.

7. ddany thread starter macrumors member

I remember i sued this app to test the ssd, and it said my ssd was crap, but it worked very well :)
    Now i have these restults.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s7fsl8q0ke17v6/DiskSpeedTest.png

I think the problem is the age of the ssd, too. Even though, i always kept at least 25gb of space free, i may need to have it replaced. Thank you guys

8. ddany thread starter macrumors member

How can I check if Spotlight cache is on/off?
    Thanks.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well that SSD seems to be in a very bad shape. Buy a new one, and make sure you have backups.

I wouldn't disable spotlight - although if you never use the search function of your mac you can do it. Google will tell you how. Usually it is on by default btw.

10. ddany thread starter macrumors member

I remember this test said that my SSD was crap at the time i bought it, when it worked perfectly :p

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Can't you like buy a new SSD, see if it helps, and if not give it back?