Macbook Pro 15" i5 2.53GHZ for music production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vexecuter, Apr 16, 2010.

1. vexecuter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

First time Mac user here, could do with some advice.

I have scoured the forums for a few questions and some have been answered, and some haven't.

I was originally looking at getting the Macbook pro 15" 2.53GHZ with the base configuration (ish) of 4GB RAM and 500gb 7200rpm HDD, then ripping out the RAM and HDD, selling them, and buying 8GB of RAM from Crucial and a 128GB SSD - hoping to save some cash. I was also looking at getting the Applecare plan, however, it is rather hefty in cost and don't know if it is worth it.

I have read that if I ever have to send back my Mac for repair, I have to have the original RAM and hard drive installed. This puts a spanner in my works. With this in mind, I am now thinking that I'll shell out for the 128GB SSD that apple install, but stick with the 4GB of RAM.

So, to summarize:

->Is 4GB enough to do audio production and editing on? At the moment, I have been struggling with a dying PC with 768MB RAM on it, but as I say, first time Mac user here and I don't know how hungry MacOS is.

->Is it worth sacrificing the Apple warranty and buying Crucial RAM and SSD drive, selling the originals or should I pay the premium?

->Is it worth getting Applecare?

Many thanks.
    V.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8GB will make it noticeably faster, especially when working on multiple tracks

Upgrading RAM and HD/SSD DOES NOT void your warranty, Apple even provides instructions how to do it. If you damage your MBP while doing it, that kind of damage is NOT covered by AppleCare. It's just recommended to put the old RAM and HD back because otherwise Apple may replace them with original parts meaning that you will lose your RAM and SSD.

In my opinion, yes. Remember that you can buy it within the first year while the original warranty is still effective. Check LA Computers for cheaper but still legit AppleCare

3. vexecuter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer.

Does it work out cheaper buying the base config then buying a 3rd party RAM and SSD upgrade?

4. Kukuriku macrumors newbie

fine

The machine you want to get should be totally fine for music. Don't know about 'must have original HD and RAM' thing, but , I think you should get Apple Care. Don't have to get it right away, you can get it just before the 1st year of warranty expires. Give you an example, just before my 3 year Apple Care was about to expire, one of the hinges on my PB Titanium broke. Send it to Apple , they put entirely new screen and now 4 years after that my PB is still running fine (7 years old). Without Apple Care it would cost me arround 400-500$ to repaire, I don't think I would do it at the time so now I wouldn't have it. I always but Apple Care especially for Portables. I do music on iMac 2007, on Logic Pro, no problems at all, so you should be OK with a new MBP.
    Take care

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, especially if you sell the original RAM and HD. Apple's 128GB SSD is pretty fairly priced but it's not the fastest one so for ~300$, you can a lot faster one (link). Of course if you're okay with smaller one, maybe 80GB or even 60GB is okay. 2x4GB is 349$ and you can sell your old 4GB for ~70$.

6. MacVibe macrumors regular

Hi,

The base config is plenty for music production. What eats up cpu are plug-ins. So, if you have many tracks (30+), each with multiple plug-ins, you're going to run up against a wall. At that point you'd be better off with a desktop with four cores (e.g. desktop version of i5 or i7).

I don't think the ram or the HD will be much of a problem unless you are running big projects. If you find you are exceeding the write-rate of your HD, a SSD might help, but the real answer again is to go to a desktop where you can have a drive for OS and programs, then other drives for project files.

Most importantly, if you get the notebook, you don't need to upgrade right away. If you find I am wrong about RAM (and you really need 8 GB) or the HD, then you can update these later as the prices should go down over time.

Cheers!

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2