Macbook Pro 15" i5 freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kbond6325, Sep 4, 2010.

1. kbond6325 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Macbook 15" a few months ago and haven't really had any problems with it until now. I'm not new to computers in general, but this is really the first experience I've had with a Mac so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works on it.

Anyway, yesterday I had 4 different programs lock up completely for no apparent reason throughout the day. First was the SystemUIServer, then Opera, Finder, and finally the Activity Monitor. 2 days ago I downloaded and installed the "MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.9" and it seemed to go fine but it keeps showing up in the software update. I tried it a few more times but it still shows up.

Could the update be causing any problems with the system? And when things freeze up I know I can use the report option, but how do I go about finding out what's actually happening with the system?

2. chayes macrumors member

possibly.

take it in to the store and let the genius bar look at it.

it could just be a software issue.

3. kbond6325 thread starter macrumors newbie

The closest genius bar is 3 hours away so I'd rather find a way to fix it or at least figure it out for myself. There's a apple certified store about an hour away, but they charge ridiculous amounts just to look at the computer.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Are you sure the firmware updater actually ran or did you just download it? What version do you see under "Boot ROM Version" in System Profiler?
    How does that compare to what you see here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

You should never have to pay for repair for a computer under warranty...

6. kbond6325 thread starter macrumors newbie

The biggest problem with taking it to the closest repair store (still an hour and a half away) is that I have to leave it overnight and I have no idea how to recreate the original problem. Mainly just looking for how to find a log or something of what happened if it happens again. Like I said, I'm new to mac and don't know where any of this stuff is.

Has anybody else had problems with this new firmware update?

7. kbond6325 thread starter macrumors newbie

My System Profiler shows "MBP61.0057.B05" and the section on the Apple site shows that it should be "MBP61.0057.B0C". How do I go about fixing this?

When the software updater ran it did the whole restart thing after so I assumed it finished what it was supposed to do.

8. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Try running the installer again.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Look in your utilities folder for the updater. I forget what it's called as I've already deleted it but it should be easy to identify. Open the updater and carefully follow the instructions. You will receive a message after it successfully updates which indicates that the firmware was successfully updated.

10. kbond6325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I got the firmware update installed and the Profiler shows the correct information. The different applications still keep freezing randomly. This time it was iCal, firefox, SystemUIServer, and then Finder, all within a few minutes. Is there any way to look at a system log or anything similar to find out what's going on or do I need to just bite the bullet and take it in to the shop?

Thanks for the help on the update.

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Look in /Library/Logs for the info, I think it should be under panic and CrashReporter. Thing is I really doubt you'll be able to tell whats causing them just by looking at them. It may give you a specific driver or file, but you'll most likely have to bring it in to Apple.