Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 trackpad sounds dull compared magic trackpad 2. Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hessel89, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Hessel89, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

Hessel89 macrumors regular

Hessel89

I just got a 15 inch Macbook Pro 2018 for a great price. Everything works perfectly, except for one thing. The Force Touch trackpad click sounds a bit soft compared to the one on the Magic Trackpad 2. Just wondering if this is normal?
    I chose the firmest setting btw.

2. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

Yes, the Magic Trackpad uses the older taptic engine same as the ones in the Rеtina MBPs

Also, you will have an option for silent clicking which is not available on the new MBPs for whatever reason

3. Hessel89 thread starter macrumors regular

Hessel89

Got it. So they’re supposed to sound quieter than the old ones? At least it’s reassuring to know that it’s normal. :)

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Correct. Apple doesn't really discuss it but Touch Bar era MacBook Pros feature a new trackpad design.

The new implementation gives more accurate haptic feedback, for example in apps like iTunes which give haptic feedback when fast forwarding a playing track. It is also quieter.

But it loses the silent click setting and doesn't feel as punchy.

Personally I prefer the first implementation. I think the main reason the new design exists is it probably facilitates the much larger trackpads on the Pros.