Macbook Pro 15 inch (Early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LJCTNK, Jun 27, 2016.

1. LJCTNK macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I am having issues with my Macbook Pro early 2011.

My Mac would suddently shut off, and would go to a screen saying "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up".

So I was thinking of hard drive issue, or ram. So I changed both, put 8gb of ram inside, and a brand new samsung evo SSD of 500 gb. I also had to install a brand new OS X (el capitan) since new SSD.

Issue is still there. Once I open a few apps, it shuts off and that message appears. This morning I played 3 youtube videos to show a friend how it shuts off, of course it wouldn't do it this time. So I opened "maps" and "facetime" app and finally decided to shut off.

Can anyone help me out? I am out of solution...

Thank you

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hard drives don't cause that exact problem. Ram can cause that kind of problem, but the solution isn't to buy new ram. You run memory tests when you suspect it. Considering the model you're using, it's most likely the gpu issue. That issue would be covered at no cost. They would remedy it by replacing the logic board. It would be a refurbished board, but at this point practically all 2011 macbook pro boards would be refurbished.

3. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed hard drive and ram not really to fix the issue. I wanted a nice upgrade, and thought it would also fix that issue. I am going to bring it back to Apple, while looking at the link provided by snaky, I think the issue does come from there.

Thank you for your quick response and helpful!