MacBook Pro 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kuph, May 3, 2012.

1. Kuph macrumors newbie

Hi I am going to get a 15 inch MacBook pro 2011. I can't decide between:
    a. $1800 2.2 ghz i7 quad core with 512mb AMD 6650 graphics chip
    or
    b. $2200 2.4 ghz i7 quad core with 1gb AMD 6670 graphics chip

I will use the laptop for high school and hopefully college. (I'm in 8th grade now.) I will use CAD, medium gaming, homework, programming and movies. I would like to save the $400 as I am on a tight budget. I am not worried about processor speed. (2.2ghz is plenty) I am mainly worried if the graphics card will be good enough. I don't want to spend $1800 and not be satisfied with the graphics chip.
    Thank You

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Get one off Apples refurbished site. As good as brand new and you can get the 15" models $500 cheaper sometimes.

3. roofz macrumors regular

grab the high end one. since you're on macrumors at this young of an age, i predict that you'll do a lot of gaming (seriously though, i mean this in a good way)

good luck and do your best in high school, this computer will help you succeed.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

If you decide to buy new, take advantage of the education discount. You'll probably be better off getting the high-end too, CAD and gaming are both GPU intensive. You also save $200 off the high-end with the student discount, so in the end its $300 more vs $400.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Are you in a big hurry to buy? There will almost definitely be an update sometime this summer if not sooner and since you want it to last a long time it might make sense to hold out a bit longer.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I thought education discount only worked for college students and school teachers? Correct me if Im wrong.

7. whdigital macrumors regular

Nope, K-12 too!

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If you plan on using it for CAD then I would spend the extra cash up front and get the better GPU it will serve you better in the long run. Plus here is the states you can get an education discount as long as you are attending or even just accepted to any school, K-12 included. So if you use the ed discount it should off set the cost a bit of getting the better GPU. Happy hunting and enjoy your going to love your machine either way!

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Really? Does that mean if I was an elementary student and decided to get a MBP, I could of got a discount?

10. Elpimpo macrumors newbie

+2 on refurbished. That means a customer identified a problem, and apple fixed it. Good as new.

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's daunting buying a computer. I get that. There's no way to gauge how something will feel years from now though. Some years the updates are much softer than others. Since the gpu is a factor for you, I suggest you wait for the Ivy Bridge refresh, as we should see the annual gpu bump along with it. Then you could always compare student pricing to refurb at that time. I usually give it a little while after a refresh. Like any other company, Apple has problems at times. If there are problems, you'll read about them here in many postings. Anyway I'm suggesting you wait given that you should see a refreshed gpu, then buy the cheaper one at that time rather than decide between two 2011 models.

For anyone who wishes to give me the buy when you need it line, consider that he's not planning to update again anytime soon:p.

Edit: I forgot to mention, photoshop and cad are both things that can be pretty light or very demanding (photoshop mostly loves ram) depending on how you use them. I've worked with 32 bit exr renders and images at 10k resolution with 100 layers. You're unlikely to have that issue. Same with CAD. It's not that slow if you're making something basic, but it can be demanding with a really complex model. I am willing to bet that gaming could push the graphics card harder than anything else you'll do in the near future.

13. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

I actually think you will like the 13" more. Since you are a kid, it is a smaller, and according to what you say that you will use it for, the 13" will handle it. But I would just get the lower end 15" if you're stuck on 15". I have both the 15" and the 13", and still have a great time with the 13". I use it for word, music, simple editing, and doing online homework. It handles well, and I think you will enjoy a 13" more for portability and cramming in your backpack around campus.
    -NEWGUY

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

CAD, and gaming? I wouldn't be looking at the 13"

15. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I'm reasonably sure that to get the student discount, you need a valid .edu email. At least in the US I think that's true.

16. whdigital, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

whdigital macrumors regular

No it's not. You need proof of enrollment/employment though. A student ID card at the Apple Store or BestBuy works just fine. Certainly a valid .edu account is one way, but not a requirement at all.

CLARIFICATION: K-12 is for Staff & Faculty of such (including Home-schoolers). Otherwise discount is for College Student (or a parent buying for one!), Staff or Faculty/Professors of a college.

17. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Right. I knew this, as I had just bought a mac and wasn't a teacher, so I had to go through my Dad's work to get a discount. Glad we're on the same page. :)