Macbook pro 15" keeps on crashing at random

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StijnD'hondt, Apr 21, 2013.

1. StijnD'hondt macrumors newbie

I have been having this problem since around january this year. My macbook pro (gen 6,2; bought in october 2010) keeps on crashing at random. In the beginning, it was only when I moved the macbook abruptly. Then, it started crashing without me touching the computer and at a daily basis. Most of the time it's just a kernel panic attack. Sometimes though, my screen goes all fuzzy (like a tv screen without reception) and there's a KPA going on in the background. In about half of the times it crashes, I get three beeps (= faulty memory) when I boot my Macbook. It's certainly not a software issue, since Windows crashes with Bootcamp as well.

Now, I went to a Mac retailer. They put new memory in the machine, and charged me nothing, though I'm out of warranty. They said that they installed it for free because they weren't sure what was actually wrong. Now, 16 days later, my Macbook crashes again. I can only think it would be the motherboard. Though I find it rather odd that the Mac kept on crashing daily with my old memory, but lasted 16 days w/o crashing with the memory the mac retailer installed. Any idea of what I could do? Obviously, replacing the logicboard is out of question. In that case I will just buy a Dell.

2. raffiolly macrumors newbie

Sounds like a motherboard problem , i think i have the same one...
    I can work all day long with my mac , only if i open Photo booth or changing time\date my mac crash !

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

The only way around it is replacing the logic board, if you go into Apple and plead your case you may get lucky. Let them know "calmly" that you are frustrated that the initial list you made for them to repair did not fix the problem.

Maybe they will replace the logic board for free. They did for me.