Macbook Pro 15" Liquid Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danapsta, May 31, 2013.

1. Danapsta macrumors newbie

So I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" unibody that I spilled a nasty mix of Jack n' Coke on a few months ago. I have just recently ordered a new power board because I suspected that to be fried. Before the led indicator on the power cord would not light up. After replacing the power board the charger now lights solid green constantly. The battery indicator flashes the green light at the lowest level of charge. So needless to say it is not charging, but at least the green light comes on now. My question is what could this mean? I'm a little stumped although a pretty good amount of liquid was spilled into this thing. I was not able to clean all the way down to the keyboard because of apple's stupid stripped screws. I did have a pretty hard time getting the ribbon cable on the top left of the logic board (with the fans closest to you) to get seated and still am not 100% sure it is seated completely. I have no idea what it is for so I have no idea how it would affect what happens when I try to power on. Both before and after this power board replacement the power button does nothing at all. No attempt to power on or anything. Any other easy things I should check before I completely give up on it?

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

3 year old non-functioning, liquid-damaged system? I'd sell it for parts and get a current new or refurb unit from Apple.

It doesn't sound like you have much experience with fixing these types of things, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the time, expense, and trouble for you to continue trying to get it to work. Especially with no guarantee that something else may fail later on that's related to the initial liquid damage.

3. Danapsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been considering selling it as-is. Just the fact that I paid so much for it and how well it did everything makes me not want to give up on it. I don't have a ton of experience with Macs, but I do with general PCs. I didn't know if there was any general direction to point given what it is doing short of replacing the entire motherboard, but I know that liquid damage is hell for that. I guess I'll just fool around with it some more and see if some magic happens. If nothing happens I guess I'll just cut my losses and sell for parts :(

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

There are services ranging from $90 to $450 that repair liquid damage on these. fluffyx on this forum runs a service providing that kind of repair at component level as well.

I look at these repairs like this.

X is the cost to repair, Y is what the computer is worth working, Z is what the computer is worth broken.

if Y - Z > X, fix it. if Y - Z < X, junk it.

So, what is the model # of your computer? What is the year of it? The mdoel number and year can typically be found on the bottom of the machine. A1150, A1226, A1286, etc.

5. Danapsta thread starter macrumors newbie

To me it would be worth alot working. I might want to check into those services when I get some money to throw into this thing. My model number is A1286 Year 2010. I ordered it from apple right before the launch of the retina displays. Cost me nearly 3 Grand brand new for a desktop replacement which I later didn't even end up needing.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Refurb? The retinas were launched in June 2012.

7. Danapsta thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah my bad. Yes it is a 2012. I was still stuck looking at the bottom of my machine which says 2010. I ordered mine in April of 2012.

8. quohog, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

quohog macrumors newbie

similar MBP 15" minor liguid damage - works fine but won't charge

mid 2010 A1286 MBP A7 ~2.8GHz After a minor spill while plugged in and running (thanks to my cat) - completely cleaned it and it works fine, but won't charge. Batt ok, ext power supply ok. Replaced DC in board no joy. Understand there are 2 DC-in SMT fuses on the logic board, but having no luck finding a schematic or component layout this morning. Want to check them before replacing logic board. Hate to invest for something so minor. BTW, free cat for helping me out ;P

Correction - I have, or maybe had, the same issue - mid'10 MBP15"A1286 A7 820-2915-B
    Recap - minor spill, thoroughly cleaned & dried, laptop works fine, magsafe batt ok, repl dc-in board - no joy. left charging overnite 2 or 3 times over a month ago no joy. Maybe a month later (today), I had picked it up again, tried charging for a minute this morning - no lights, unplugged charger
    Couple hours later plugged it in again - for the first time the green light was on for half second then out, left it for ~10-15 min no joy; unplugged charger figured capacitive charging maybe gave false green indication. A few minutes later attached charger again no lights but left it attached, got busy researching and looking for logic board fuse ~30-40 min later noticed amber light!! It started working. There are resettable SMT fuses but I don't see one on this board? No explanation for the delay, but its a gift horse - mouth thing!

Moral of this story, if its otherwise working normally, let it sit for a month (mine was sitting with back removed during that time) then let it charge for an hour or longer. Good luck!