Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benzidirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
South Africa
Hi,

I recently became an owner of the MacBook Pro 15'' (Mid 2015) i7 2.2ghz, 16gb ram, Iris gpu. Overall performance when doing simple tasks is brilliant. The other day I decided to download Steam and Football Manager 2017. I won't lie. Performance was horrific when FM was running. Whenever the game was processing the whole machine was laggy and unstable. Videos playing in the background were playing at 5fps and minimizing and maximizing windows was also laggy.

What can I check to improve performance?

Thanks.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Didn't you do your homework? It sounds like you need the dedicated graphics model, if it was a gift nothing you can do, if you bought it then return it.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Try the dedicated model with amd graphics, you have until Jan 8th to return it due to the holiday policy. Buy refurbished and I think the price is 2100 USD.

benzidirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
South Africa
Didn't you do your homework? It sounds like you need the dedicated graphics model, if it was a gift nothing you can do, if you bought it then return it.

Ok but FM has minimal gpu requirements. And it's not during gameplay that is laggy but during processing. So why should the gpu make such a big difference?

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Ok but FM has minimal gpu requirements. And it's not during gameplay that is laggy but during processing. So why should the gpu make such a big difference?

Processing still probably requires a lot of GPU power. Some applications are just GPU intensive, look at all the video editing applications for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.