Macbook pro 15" (Need advice very fast)!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BruceiD, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BruceiD macrumors member

Hey!
    So I ran across a deal today at MyCom (Dutch/Belgian computer store)
    They offer:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    • Intel Core i7 (2.2 GHz, 6Mb L3)
    • 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    • DVD+/-RW
    • Radeon HD 6750M (512 Mb)
    • FireWire 800
    • Thunderbolt
    • 3 year guaranty
    For €1479 in the Dutch store and €1599 in the Belgian Store.
    So my questions are:
    -Is this a no-brainer? Should I get it?
    -Will I still have guaranty if I buy it in the Dutch Store (I'm from Belgium btw) considering that it's the a franchising that has stores in Belgium and the Netherlands?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you need a new computer? If not, then you shouldn't buy it.

3. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Well I was planning on buying a Macbook next year for college but I said that: If I run across a good deal, I would get one now however I don't really know whether this is a good deal..?

4. softypolimer macrumors member

like the first reply. If you need it now go head and buy it. if not, I rather recommend you to wait for the next update. Personally I like to pay the full price at apple store for the latest model when it just came out for the longest life span. On the other hand I also got a friend who brought a previous gen MBP at the same day for half of a price.

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

It's not a spectacular bargain. Wait till later and buy a 2012 refurb.

6. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

The refurbished store doesn't have any computers in Belgium here. I've never seen one.

7. Jb07 macrumors 6502

It's a 2011, right? That's a hefty discout for a 2012 model. (base starts at €1879.) If that is a 2012, I would get it, unless Haswell is a big deal to you.

8. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

It's the early 2011 model I think.
    what do you think ?

9. Jb07 macrumors 6502

It's still a hefty discount. What kind of things will you be using it for? It'll make it easier to say if you should buy it now or wait if I know your usage.

10. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Well here's why I would buy it now.
    I am going to college next year and I'm going to study Computer science and specializing in multimedia so programming+video editing+design.
    I actually need the laptop next year but I said that I would get one this year if I stumbled upon a good deal.
    The main thing that this would be used for is: video editing, programming and photo editing (so programs such as: Coda 2, After effects, FCP, Photoshop) and also the obvious things such as browsing the web and mailing,...

So:
    1. I could wait and buy a new computer (probably 2013 generation) with student discount.
    2. I could wait and maybe buy a 2012 model with a discount (obviously I don't know whether I will stumble upon a good deal then)
    3. I could buy this computer and upgrade the RAM immediately and put in an SSD later

Thoughts ?

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would get the 2012 over the 2011 because not only is it faster with the cpu/gfx but it also has usb3 ports which will replace usb2 over the coming years and will be important for use with transferring video files etc.

12. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Is USB 3 important to you? Do you like having the newest things? A 2011 will last you through your whole school career and putting an SSD and upgrading the RAM will make it very fast. If USB 3 isn't important to you, then get it. There isn't much difference between the 2011-2012.

13. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

Well USB 3 is great feature but not something I'm going to cry over (I think).
    The only thing that is keeping me away from buying it:
    -It's heavy (I'll be taking this to Uni every day)
    -I'm afraid I'll regret it (Thoughts going on in my mind although I know that an i7 quad core with 16GB of RAM and an SSD is already insane)

14. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Ivy Bridge isn't a huge difference over Sandy Bridge, except for the ULV processors. If it was Ivy Bridge or Haswell I would say go with the Haswell. With and SSD and 16 gigs of RAM it'll fly! It's a little heavy, yes... Have you considered a MacBook Air?

15. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

No I don't want to get a MBA because I don't know whether video editing on a machine like that is as smooth as I want it to be..

16. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I think if you check around the MBA forum you can see how successfully MBA users run Video Editing programs. I personally have no idea. I only use Adobe Premier and iMovie, and both run fine.
    If the MBA can handle all your programs you need it to run then I would suggest a maxed out 2012 with 8Gb of RAM and 512GB SSD. Then again, I have no clue how much that would cost in Belgium or Netherlands.

17. BruceiD thread starter macrumors member

About 1599 with college discount. (256gb version)
    What do you you think is best?
    THANKS FOR AL THE HELP BTW! :D