Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I find that when I'm running an instance of VM Fusion (versions 2 and 3, same experience) along with whatever other apps that were running on the Mac side, I'm using almost all of my 4 GB installed memory.

Some memory is marked as "inactive", but the machine gets extremely slow!

My question is, would upping the memory to 8 GB make the difference and do people really need 8 GB in virtual machine hosting cases?

If I try to run a _second_ virtual machine (two win xp pro instances), there's so much paging going on that the machine becomes almost totally unresponsive for minutes at a time.

I've run Disk tools, but no problems seem to exist on the disk. And with no VMs running, the machine is fine.

-------

I found a $499 memory upgrade (2 4 GB chips) on newegg:

Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Model 976644A

but I have no experience with this vendor (Mushikn).

------

Look forward to any and all replies.

Thanks.

- M

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
How fast is your hard drive?

It's the standard 320 GB / 5400 RPMS

Although this drive failed in the first year I owned the MBP, I was told that the 7200s are even more unreliable.

Would a faster drive be the ticket or must more memory, or, gulp, both?

Thanks.

- M

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'd say your HD is as big a bottleneck as ram. I have 4GB of ram and when i went from a 7200 RPM drive to an SSD all of the slowness associated with Parallels, or really anything, just disappeared.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Mushkin have been in the memory business a very long time, and their memory is top of the line. Don't worry about the quality, I rate them well above Crucial and Kingston.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Mushkin have been in the memory business a very long time, and their memory is top of the line. Don't worry about the quality, I rate them well above Crucial and Kingston.

Sounds good, thanks.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Drive access speeds and times cause slowdowns in virtual machines. I'd get a faster hard drive first.

Even though the Mac says I've used 3.99 GB?

Maybe "both" (memory and faster drive) are needed.

-- M

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I'd say your HD is as big a bottleneck as ram. I have 4GB of ram and when i went from a 7200 RPM drive to an SSD all of the slowness associated with Parallels, or really anything, just disappeared.

Maybe upgrading to a 500 GB 7200 RPM is in order.

Thanks!

-- M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.