MacBook Pro 15" not accepting 8 Gb RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zil, Jul 1, 2012.

1. zil macrumors newbie

Have been an anonymous reader for a while as I could usually find answers to my questions without starting my own threads. Not this time however...

I have a mid-2009 MBP 15". It came with 4 Gb of Hynix DDR3-1066 memory that I'm now trying to upgrade in an effort to make the machine last me for another 1-2 years.
    Trouble is I can't make it accept any other memory except its original Hynix! So far I have tried 4 options:

1) Crucial RAM that was ordered from their website using their MacScanner tool. It was supposedly "guaranteed" to work but it didn't. Spent some time with the tech support on the phone and finally Crucial gave up on me and said to return the RAM to them.

2) Samsung 2 x 4Gb DDR3-1600. Computer doesn't boot and makes the "error beeps" immediately on start-up.

3) PNY 2 x 4Gb DDR3-1066. Same as Samsung above.

4) Corsair Value Select 2 x 4Gb DDR3-1066. Refuses to boot with both sticks installed. Boots up successfully with one of them or 1 Corsair + 1 original 2 Gb stick for a total of 6 Gb. However within 5 minutes OS goes into kernel panic.

My personal conclusion from all the experiments is that my laptop is for some reason very finicky about the RAM it will work with. Anyone had a similar problem? Any advise would be appreciated?

P.S. Additional details on the computer: it's a mid-2009 MBP 15" 2.8 GHz with AG-display running Lion with all the applicable updates including firmware. Optical drive was replaced by an SSD. It must have been one of the first in the series with the anti-glare display when it first became available (not hi-res).

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Check for the timing. 9-9-9-24 works with mac.

3. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha... I totally forgot about the timing. Will have to check, thank you!

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

5. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Maybee not, they are a tad expensive.

This one is 42$ on newegg, is 9-9-9-24.

2$ more and you get this one Patriot brand mac compatible.

6. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I will try the Newegg and if that doesn't work, will try the OWC.

Anyone familiar with how difficult it is to return stuff to Newegg? I'm thinking about ordering 2 or 3 sets of RAM and only keeping the one that works.

----------

the only thing that worries me is that I bet that the Crucial RAM had the correct timings and still didn't work :confused:

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because the time, effort, and shipping he has already spent shouldn't be considered?

The OWC RAM is only 55.97. If you consider that expensive you have other issues.

8. pbarns82 macrumors newbie

I have the same config as you. Mine is running 8GB just fine for the past 3 years. I have 2x4GB Crucial DDR3 1066 Samsung so-dimms. Just make sure your ram slots are clean from dust, use a compressed air to clean it out.

9. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! My Crucial RAM was not Samsung. It actually reads "Crucial" on the chips.

Re cleaning the slots -- good advise but I doubt it would make a difference since the original modules always work without a glitch.

----------

That is definitely a consideration. I am yet to return the Crucial order and the other three I got from Microcenter :(

10. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Haha, no. Its just that on a same configuration all ram are equal. But its true that OWC is 100% working garantee. I guess it is worth at least 10$ for the OP.

11. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

The Crucial was also a 100% guarantee... You know how that worked out.
    (But you are right, if I knew that OWC would work for sure I would pay the 10$ extra [maybe even more :)])

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Does than mean I get like a finders fee or something? :D

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

14. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely, I will send you the original 2x2Gb sticks if the replacement proves to work fine :D

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

LOL, I have so much extra RAM, no thanks. Todays 2GB DDR3 is yesterdays 256MB DDR.

16. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried the PNY sticks that refused to work in my MBP on a MacBook Alu and they worked with no problems! Go figure... :confused:

17. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

The memory saga continues...

Updates to my memory upgrade story....

I tried the Newegg Mushkin -- didn't work.

Today received the OWC "guaranteed to work" RAM. 2x4 Gb. It was the same brand (Hynix) and same blue color as my factory sticks. Installed it and it is NOT WORKING!!

OMG! :eek: I think my machince has an idiosynchrasy to all 4 Gb memory sticks in the Universe at some hardware level! I am stuck with 4 GB forever :(

Does anyone think I can return the computer to Apple on the grounds that it failed to fullfill the "upgradable to 8 Gb statement"?

----------

No finder's fee, brand :( any other ideas??

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

People say Macs are picky about which RAM you put in them, but this is bizarre.

This is what I can think of that might work:

Try Corsair's line of Mac Memory, which supposedly is designed specifically for Mac to be extra stable.
    I have found the 2x4 GB 1066 MHz Corsair Mac Memory for you. The part number is CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7.

I have also heard from people who have had success with Corsair Vengeance when others have failed.

If possible, try to find out everything about your standard RAM from Apple (the latency, the voltage, etc), and then find a set of 2x4 GB that has the exact same specifications. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

19. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your advice! I am inclined to try it although I am probably out > 50$ in shipping fees already :eek:

20. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

That is really odd. And you are using 1067Mhz not some weird 1333Mhz down clocking BS right? It sounds like a failing logic board being picky on RAM. If you're not under warranty, you might want to try and find someone's factory 8GB pair. Should read the same as the 4GB you have now

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

Definitely sounds like a problem with the logic board. Modern Macs are much better about being Mac compatible. Are you able to take a couple of different sets of RAM that you have tried to an Apple store to get their take on it?

23. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Well, you'll have to find out what the CAS Latency, timing and voltage are. I can't find it on the page you linked to.
    The voltage is most likely 1.5 V, but I don't know about the latency and timing.

Perhaps it might be an idea to try to find someone who is selling his standard-from-Apple 8 GB RAM - preferably from the same generation MacBook Pro as yours. If you can, I think that's your best shot at getting something that will work.

24. zil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your input!

I found out my original RAM parameters and the voltage is indeed 1.5 and it's CL7 (7-7-7-20). Some of the modules I already tried fit these parameters. I can't take them all to the store as I only have the OWC modules on hand. And, to be honest, I'm getting pretty sick of memory shopping by now...

I like the idea of buying someone else's original 8 Gb set. I think this will be my last attempt. If it fails I will live with my 4 Gb until it's time to upgrade.

P.S. the whole RAM upgrade conundrum was started by need to run Win XP in Parallels. It runs fine on 1 of 4 Gb currently anyway. Again, thank you everyone for the suggestions and brainstorming!

25. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yeah, I was afraid of that. Too bad.

- That is probably what's most likely to work. I hope you find some.

I found this on ebay, which isn't from your generation MacBook Pro, but it is OEM RAM (Hynix) from Apple:
    Apple Macbook Pro OEM 8gb Memory DDR3 1333 10600 SODIMM

If you can't find some 1066 MHz modules from your generation, this might be the next best thing.