MacBook Pro 15" Not finding Mac partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ande23, Dec 26, 2009.

1. ande23 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, my computer suddenly froze the other day so I turned it off. However now when I turn it on, I have a grey screen, and it bots straight into Windows Boot Camp.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, I have reset the PVRAM, Used Disc Utility to try and repair the disc which it does see but is grey, tried it in target disc mode connected to my partners macbook pro. However it still only finds the Boot Camp partition and not the Mac HD.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can either get the info off of the mac os partition, or repair it so I can boot straight back into Mac OS.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Andy :)

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

maybe you could try a fresh install of the mac os

3. mrtekkid macrumors regular

Is the Windows partition of the computer running from the same hard drive or is it a completely separate physical hard drive??

If it is two separate drives then the Mac drive may have failed.

If it's the same, you may want to try taking it in if an Apple Store is nearby or give them a ring if you are still covered.

I haven't heard of this before yet along not being able to repair the drive from at least the installation disk. Though if you have everything backed up using Time Machine (which it would appear you don't since you are asking for help to get data) Doing a clean install of the OS and then a Time Machine restore MAY solve the issue since you won't lose much other than what you had up to your latest backup.

4. ande23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for both you replies. I tried to do a fresh install, but again it will only find the Boot Camp part of the hard drive to install to (50gb). The rest of the Hard Drive (270gb) with the Mac OS it just can't find to install. In Disc Utility where the hard drive is greyed out the Mac partition is not mounted, when tr to mount it it says it's unmountable.

Mrtekkid, it is the same local HD inside the computer, not a seperate one. My Mac Pro is probably about 3 or 4 weeks out of warranty now unfortunately. If I took it back would they still try and fix it for me even if I had to pay?

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you have access to a second computer that has a external drive enclosure, you could try pulling out the hard drive from the MBP and using it in the enclosure, this may allow you to recover data. Using the enclosure again you could wipe the hard drive clean and do a fresh OS X install on it.

6. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Or, booting the machine into Target Disk Mode and running Disk Utility from there.

7. mrtekkid macrumors regular

Ande,

That's a tough call but I am pretty sure if you set up an appointment and took the system in, they would probably verify the problem that you stated and then ask you if they could repair it. If I am right you probably would have to pay for it so you could probably ask for an estimate at this point. Then if you have any other certified Mac repair people in your area you could also ask them for an estimate and see where you can get the better deal from.

But if you can't verify or repair disk permissions from the install disk, I would recommend probably setting up the appointment. I'm no technician so I can only offer you so much advice.

Snaky offered a good idea of removing the drive and placing it into another computer and seeing if you could copy the data off before you wiped the drive and started over, however I am pretty sure that target disk mode that you already tried is the equivalent to that without removing the drive from the actual system. So this may be a waste of time. But like Shaduu said, you could run the disk utility repairs from target disk mode on another system but I am sure you said you already tried that.

I'm not even sure at this point if you could even just wipe that side of the partition if disk utility will not even let you mount it. You can't erase what you can't access.

Before you even went to this extreme I would take it into the Apple store and see what they could do. My last measure would be to just format the whole drive and install both OSes from scratch and all their applications and whatnot which would be time consuming unless you had backups. But I wouldn't suggest that just yet.