Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I'm not sure which one to take: the new, low-end 15" MBP with the 6750M gpu, or wait for the Ivy Bridge. If I wait for the Ivy Bridge, it would be because of the lower general battery consumption, be able to do more with the same battery cycle, as well as the better cooling (or less heat) the chip provides. This is, as I have heard one of the major bullet points of the Ivy Bridge.

Only, I'm not sure what to expect. Of course, nobody knows, but some can make more accurate calculated guesses than others.

So, can someone tell me how much hours more it would be expected, and how many °C cooler the MBP would be?

Thanks.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
^^Who knows. They usually save cells when the processors demand less, you get less so you are at the same battery life as previous model. There is talk about thinning down the case (like Air) even more so the heat will be the same as well even though the tdp and thermals of Ivy Bridge are lower and cooler.
In fact miles is right on the money.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
You should expect nothing, because there could always be a manufacturing defect that saps power.
Otherwise, you can wish for a much more power efficient processor.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
really, there's no way to find out.

it's just a guessing game with no real point to it.

Nobody knows til we get real life reviews of the Ivy Bridge machines late next year.

If you need one now, grab one, if you don't, wait. Simple, cuz there's always the newer, better(supposedly) tech next year.

XandeR803

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
I'm not sure which one to take: the new, low-end 15" MBP with the 6750M gpu, or wait for the Ivy Bridge. If I wait for the Ivy Bridge, it would be because of the lower general battery consumption, be able to do more with the same battery cycle, as well as the better cooling (or less heat) the chip provides. This is, as I have heard one of the major bullet points of the Ivy Bridge.

Only, I'm not sure what to expect. Of course, nobody knows, but some can make more accurate calculated guesses than others.

So, can someone tell me how much hours more it would be expected, and how many °C cooler the MBP would be?

Thanks.

What exactly are you planning to do with it that makes you so concerned with heat and battery life? I can use my 15" 2.3 HR-AG for about 8 hrs if I'm just surfing the web, chatting, and doing emails and the laptop is barely warm. If I start editing video, it drops to about 2 hours so it really depends on your workload.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I think you can expect power draw to be quite a bit less at medium load.
The new GPU effectively does twice the workload in IB while drawing the same amount of mA. The CPU with 22nm tri gate should also be much more power efficient at the same workload.
SB is already really good at very low usage and that won't increase all that much but medium usage the stuff you do when you currently only get 3-4h out of the machine that should be quite a bit better.

Of course there is the unknown variable of a redesign. Maybe they change the chassis and put in a smaller battery which needs less space and all the possible power savings disappear or get even worse in some situations.
I wouldn't bet on it. I would still like to also get some 6h real battery life while actually doing something out of such a notebook and also when working on the road I usually want full brightness. There is still room for improvement.

Besides all that 28nm graphics should also be good for a quite decent GPU performance increase. That is what I am waiting for.
But I already have a 15" MBP and while I am not perfectly happy with the speed I can wait.

If I didn't have one I am not sure I'd wait that long with a possible redesign happing that I might not like. Like 16:9 displays and whatever else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.