Macbook Pro 15 Nvidia GT-650M 1GB RAM 3D Graphics / Gaming performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shnn2011, May 13, 2013.

1. shnn2011, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

shnn2011 macrumors member

shnn2011

I could not find this info when I needed it. I hope that this helps you guys out a bit.

1080P Video of MacBook Pro Mid 2012 With High Res Antiglare running Zelda Twilight Princess at a higher resolution than the original system:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwSyDJsppHI

1080P Video of MacBook Pro Mid 2012 With High Res Antiglare running Mario Galaxy at a higher resolution than the original system:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IwbBX_qDU

1080P Video of MacBook Pro Mid 2012 With High Res Antiglare running Unigine Heaven Benchmark at an impressive rate:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlH4q9ycykE

2. leman macrumors 604

That game is 7 years old and it was available on the Gamecube, which is 30-40 times slower than the current Intel's integrated graphics :eek: I am sure that even a Macbook Air without a dedicated GPU will be able to run that thing, even though its emulated. Taking that game as a performance benchmark is like testing a waterproofing of a jacket by spilling a single drop of water on it.

3. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

I beg to differ, the reason being this is a benchmark of the GPU. The GPU is the most important thing for games.

Also, if you read all of the the info, you will see that the games are run at 8X anti-alising and 8X Anisotropic filtering.These games are also running in HD resolution, something the Wii cannot do.

BTW, my 13 inch Mid 2012 with HD4000 could not handle this.

Nevertheless, I will post other benchmarks soon.

4. leman macrumors 604

If you want to do a benchmark, then do a proper benchmark. Console emulators are much more CPU dependent then they are GPU dependent, and the 3D content in that game will just make a modern GPU smile. Again, it was designed for a console whose GPU offers a peak theoretical performance of 8 GFLOPS. HD4000 offers to 250GFLOPS.

5. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

You have a point, for someone to understand such a benchmark's significance would mean that they would have to be familiar with the CPU/GPU requirements of the emulator. Therefore, first two video demos can be viewed as a bit esoteric (only those who extensively use dolphin would understand the benchmark and or power of the CPU / GPU).

This is why I will also be posting a Unigine Heaven benchmark soon.

6. timsaxman macrumors member

Does it run as smooth in actual gameplay? Cutscenes do often get better FPS than gameplay.

7. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Yes.

Very good actually. Note that these are not pre rendered cutscenes.

There are points in time where you will notice something, but that is probably due mostly to emulation issues and it is rare.

Overall the game runs and looks better than on the original system.

Having said that, no laptop will be as powerful as a desktop computer, at least not yet, and if you were running it on a very powerful desktop PC it may be a bit smoother.

One exception to this maybe the Eurocom Panther, but who really wants to spend over $10,000 on a laptop that is freaking huge and hard to carry.

8. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If anything these tells me that my retina MacBook has the capability of playing timeless Nintendo games, which is good enough in and of itself, never mind the fact that probably mainstream Windows notebooks with a 640M or equivalent that are a third of the price can probably run these games as well.

In any event thanks for the videos.

9. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

Your welcome; I'm glad I could be of help. The reason I posted these was because I was looking for the info prior to purchasing the 15 inch myself.

10. shnn2011 thread starter macrumors member

shnn2011

The Unigine Benchmark is posted

The Unigine Benchmark is posted now.