MacBook Pro: 15" or 17" ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JaxMac, Jun 14, 2007.

1. JaxMac macrumors newbie

JaxMac

Hi,

Any advice with which model to get? I'm interested in the extra battery life from the new 15" MBP's LED. However, I the extra resolution option for the 17" is very tempting.

From what I remember, the 17" model is gigantic and unwieldy. Then again, I've only seen it chained to a table at the Apple Store and have no experience carrying it around.

My main use for this would be graphics (Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, and some 3D work). I'd be carrying it around in a laptop backpack and only flying once a year.

Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

If you could afford the 17" HD MacBook Pro and don't need portability, go for it. Do you need an external display? If so, then get the 15" LED MacBook Pro with an 23" or 30" Display.

3. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

Hmm... your nice suggestion about using the extra money for an external monitor has added to my dilemma :)

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The 17" HD MacBook Pro can be used as a desktop replacement but if you need some portability, why not the 15" LED MacBook Pro at the road and hook the 15" MacBook Pro to a 23" or 30" Display at home for desktop use. It's really your own choice and you decide. There is no wrong choice in this, just choose whatever you like.

5. dcv macrumors G3

Another consideration is how/where you might use it - on your lap or on a desk?

I was all set to buy the 17" hi-res last night but found myself more drawn to the 15" LED display. I will use the MBP mostly at home, lounging on the sofa so for me it needs to comfortable to use in that position. There's not a huge difference in it but I'm thinking half a kilo less might be more comfy!

6. mpw Guest

Maybe you need to worry less about getting an extra 2" and just try different positions?

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Do you say that to all the ladies?

I'm sorry.

8. JaxMac thread starter macrumors newbie

JaxMac

I was all set to buy the 15" model when I found out the 17" model with the hi-res screen is only $300 more.

Lately, because of the extra time needed to take care of my 10-month old, I'm in the living room a lot and rarely in at my desk at home.

I haven't been to an Apple store lately. Is the LED screen of the 15" model really nice?:confused:

9. dcv macrumors G3

Yeah it's a bit brighter and there's just something about it, it's worth going to see them both in store (if you can) before you make your final decision.

10. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Does anyone know if the Regent St Apple Store has the high res 17" in?!?