Macbook Pro 15" or 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AtOl Blacky, Jan 18, 2009.

1. AtOl Blacky macrumors newbie

i'm currently ready to buy a new laptop, but in torn between which to get?!
    the 2.53 15" (higher Spec) or the 17" both will have the processor upgrade
    and i will be buying a 3rd party 7200 hhd.
    i currently have a home setup of a macmini linked to a 23" ACD.
    This serves as my tv and screen for playing my wii thru.
    I will be upgrading mac mini as soon as the new ones are available and also the screen to as the mini will hopefully support the 30"
    my point is will the be any noticable different between the 15" and 17" whilst playing say hd movies on the 30" Screen?
    is there really much difference between the 15" and 17" except for the extra usb and bigger screen?
    i don't really want to spend that bit more on the 17" to only find that its really hard to carry arround/use on my lap and not that much better than the 15"

2. MidwestStuck macrumors member

You pretty much listed the differences between the 15" and 17". The 17" also has a matte option if that's important for you. You can also max out with a 2.93GHz processor in the 17", while the 15" tops off at 2.8GHz. That really shouldn't be a factor, though.

3. Sky MacKenna macrumors newbie

I have a 17" and it is wonderful!!!:D:p:cool:

I don't believe that there is any difference between the 15" and 17" except for the extra usb and bigger screen. But I don't have the 15", so I really can't say.
    But, from what I believe there is no difference but you should hear that from someone who has a 15". And if that is the case, then don't bother with the 17" if you don't want to spend more more and want a lighter laptop.

4. AtOl Blacky thread starter macrumors newbie

do you carry around you 17 much, and if so, is a bulky weight?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used to carry a 17"; now I'm glad I'm using a 15"; it's really just preference, but I realized the hardware 17" can be too big to take to class and stuff.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres already about 50000 threads on this, but basically if you have the money and arnt as weak as a 6 year old girl get the 17", all other circumstances get the 15".

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Both computers will drive the 30" ACD and the 17" has a much longer battery life. I have to ask though, if you're only watching HD movies on a 30" ACD, then why bother with a high-end notebook at all?

8. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i carry the 17" to work everyday and it's fine. i much prefer it over the 15" i had because of the higher resolution screen. i'd get it just for that.

9. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

go 17