Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babak

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
Besides the obvious advanteges of the 17" model, some (-)ves worth considering that were not mentioned:

- the 17" has a rather small pixel size and some people find it to be causing eye fatigue, especially working with text/web-pages

- If you're going to connect to an external monitor most of the time don't pay for the 17"

- more difficult to play games in native (if you care) as the video-card is the same but the resolution is significantly greater

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Is the difference in size/weight really that drastic? I saw them both together in a shop today and they didn't seem too different in terms of size. And I can't understand how the weight can be that much different, it's only 1 pound heavier than the 15".

I don't travel often (to and from work with the laptop mostly), but will the added size and weight really make that much of a difference?

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
One thing to consider: Do you need an ExpressCard slot? The 15" currently doesn't have one.

Personally, I go with 17" laptops purely for the 1920x1200 resolution. If a 15" had the same resolution, I would go with that.

Exactly! Keep in mind that the 15" has a much lower resolution than the 17" MBP, and if you have sharp eyesight (or work with HD photos / video), the lower resolution of the 15" may irk you. It certainly irks me, especially considering the fact that 15" PC laptops have had 1080P screens for a while.

RCube

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
i really don't understand people who buy the 17". If I wanted a giant screen, I would get an apple keyboard, magic mouse, and an external display and hook up my 15" macbook pro to that and have an experience BETTER than just a 17". The only conceivable situation I can see that would make an argument for a 17" bohemoth would be if you need to make presentations to people on your computer. But really? even for those people, there are probably plenty of times where the 17" will inconvenience them, so even for them, I don't see it making sense.

I need the screen size. And I work at multiple locations. 17" is perfect. Also the 17" isn't actually that much bigger or heavier than 15". (I used 15" mbp for over 2 years for home, office, and traveling)

And if you actually use the laptop on the go all the time, then even 15" is too big at places. And if 15" isn't too big, then 17" will most likely fit too. If I want to be very very mobile, I would go for something even smaller and lighter than 15".

Basically you have to look at how you use computers and pick one that works for you.

Gianlusp

macrumors member
May 16, 2009
I have 17" glossy and I fell great!. I carry it sometimes, It's not heavy..and good resolution.My eyes are happy!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.