MacBook Pro 15' or asus g73jh graphics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Conorjs, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Conorjs macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I could use some help here! I bought an asus g73jh a while back, in pretty sure it's a 2010 model but not positive may be 2008 or 2009.. But anyway the graphics card is radeon hd 5870 with i7. I'm a much bigger fan of Mac OSX and MacBooks then pc, but I do want to do casual gaming.. I'm looking into the MacBook Pro 15' with the nvidia graphics card GeForce 650m.. Is this better then the 5870 and the asus laptop? Right now me and my cousin play Guild Wars 2 at the same settings, me using the asus and he using the MacBook and he is getting around 80 fps with the same settings as me and I'm getting only around 30. So clearly it looks like the MB is better but I just wanna check with some people who actually know about this before I make a decision! Thanks for your time everybody!

2. Jon P D macrumors newbie

How much memory does the graphics on your computer have?

I believe the high end 15" and the 17" 2011 MBP models used the Radeon 6000 series which is obviously better than the 5000 series.

The nvidia chip in the current MBP models is again better than the Radeon 6000 series so I think you'd be getting a decent upgrade.