Macbook Pro 15" Problem.. Please Advice me Seniors :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CCprince, Sep 25, 2014.

1. CCprince, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

CCprince macrumors newbie

Guys..! I have a 2014 Macbook Pro 15" (10 days old) but the battery that i could use when full charged is only 5 hours... not 8 or 10 hours (as said in the brochure)

Help!! Why is that so?

I tried to call Applecare.. He ask me to do some resets.. But then, i found out that i could only only use it for 6 hours

Is it normal?

PS: I only use only Word, or maybe online youtube or facebook

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It does take a while for the battery to sort itself.

Have you added a lot of files or music etc? if so leave it on over night to complete spotlight indexing.

Secondly you tube uses flash and that can destroy your battery, if you click on the battery icon it'll show you which apps are using a lot of power.

finally chrome is a nightmare for your battery and CPU resources don't use that browser.

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Though your question seems simple. Battery-life is highly subjective. Do not know if you have the discrete graphics rMBP (I do not), but I have a mid 2014 15" and it lasts anywhere between 6-9.5 hrs depending on what I am doing.

How bright is your screen setting?
    How strong is your wifi?
    How many youtube videos are you watching and which browser are you using?
    What are you doing on Facebook? Playing games? Watching more videos?
    Are there any other programs running in the background?

And on and on...6 hrs seems about right for certain usage scenarios.

Try using Activity Monitor (under the Energy tab) to determine which apps are using power. It will show you which apps are using significant energy. Your battery indicator in your menu bar will also list the same.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Depends highly on how you are using it. Consider it this way. If you ran a mile, wouldn't you burn more calories than if you walked the same mile? Same for computers. If you work it really hard with complex tasks, it will lose battery faster.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

First of all, do not use Chrome and do not use Flash.

These two are resource hogs and drain power really fast.

Secondly, is your hard drive still indexing?

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The 9 or 12 hours or 17 hours battery life that apple says is just the MAXIMUM. They want to advertise so they always show the maximum it can do. But usually you never get that much battery life when using it. If you want that much battery life then don't use your macbook pro :rolleyes:

7. tulsidasji macrumors member

Check in System Reports and check your battery capacity. Ive had the same issue and now they diagnosed it as a faulty battery or a faulty logic board. My battery capacity was in a downward fall and it reached 64% of design capacity.

8. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I had 13" Air Mid 2012 - when I clicked on battery widget in left corner it shows around 15 hours when I had 100% charge

now on 15" Pro Mid 2014 (high-end model) I always get only around 6 hours and battery shows over 8870 mAh capacity, now I'm on Mavericks 10.9.4

9. tulsidasji macrumors member

Your mid 2014 Mac seems fine I think. Because the max capacity seems fine. However on mine it dropped down below 6500 mAh so maybe that could be the problem with some of the new models