Macbook Pro 15" replacement lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gabriel GR, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Hi.

A friend dropped his mac and now he can't stand the dent on the rear lid. Everything else seems untouched. Is there anywhere he can find a replacement part? He wanted to go straight to the service but I figured that might cancel his warranty so giving it a second thought. Any idea how much it would cost?

2. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Aww you're so nice. Asking if anyone knows where I can get a replacement. :) Thanks ;)

3. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

HAHA. I guess there's a lot of people like you :)

Although I think that the rear panel is glued on the screen assembly making it really hard to replace. For the non unibody MBP it was pretty straightforward and there are lids on ebay for 60-100 bucks.

4. LongJnSilver macrumors newbie

have replacement lid for unibody but...

but... can't find anyone to actually do the replacement work.

The screen is GLUED in place into the top of the lid.

Anyone know WHERE I can take my notebook with the spare lid and get the work done?

Thanks. LongJnSilver

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

You are going to need a new screen assembly if you want to replace the rear lid. Sorry, its a pita, you are gunna have to be really careful too, because you wont want to void the warranty. Your best bet would either be to deal with it or take it to the Apple Store and be ready to fork over some serious bank.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At my local store, it's $700 with taxes and labor for a new lid, $1200 if sent to the depot. I'd live with it unless you're friend is made of money or wants to buy a hot air gun and possibly a new glass. If you're friend is made of money, well time to spend money; if he's like the rest of us, then I'd just take it apart (since that's on the menu already), and try to hammer the dent out before buying a new lid.

7. Gabriel GR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Well that's kinda a lot... He better be more careful from now on.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Is that for the lid or the entire display/lid assembly (everything above the hinges). I cannot believe the aluminum shell if available would cost that much even from Apple.