MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2013 - Refurbished - Urgent Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arzbhatia, Mar 11, 2014.

1. arzbhatia macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm thinking to buy this refurbished macbook pro 15" retina - http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

I'm pretty sure I want these specs. The only thing that's stopping me is the refurbished thing. I can't afford a new macbook pro with those specs therefore I signed up here to ask people about how the refurbished pieces are.

What I really REALLY don't want is - Physical imperfections. I'm a designer by profession and such really turn me off :( All the devices I own are in immaculate conditions!

Has anyone ever received a refurb' system with cosmetic imperfections? Does apple replace the external shell too?

Please help me out with this, I'm looking to buy within a few days. Also, I'm not from the US, my friend would buy the laptop and immediately get it shipped to my place. Therefore, any problems, if found, would be.. well, like a big problem for me.

Help me out,

Thanks a lot!

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

It will look brand new. Apple refurbs are as good as new.

3. trocLas macrumors newbie

Yep, refurbished are as good as new. Mine arrived as mint condition. If it wasn't for the outer box being different, I would have thought it was a new Mac :)

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Other than getting a plain white box versus the fancy OEM box, the machine should look just like new. It may have a few battery cycles, but other than that you should not be able to distinguish it from one purchased at retail price.

5. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Are the refurbs sealed in clear plastic like the factory fresh ones are? Is there a white protective piece of paper covering the screen when you open the Macbook for the first time?

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I think they do, at least my last refurb (2010 MBP) came like that

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Yes to both.

8. arzbhatia thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

There is no need to buy refurb, there is plenty of retailers that offer 10% discounts which is near refurb price anyway. And if they are a authorised Apple seller you just ring Apple and they will price match.
    I got a 6% discount off Apple today on a display just by asking, no hassle:)

10. arzbhatia thread starter macrumors newbie

But how will I get a $2829 model for 2399 lol.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

you won't lol.

12. arzbhatia thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly! haha! The refurb's RP is $2829 but I'm getting it for 2399!

13. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

How does it work out once you pay taxes and duties for your country?

14. arzbhatia thread starter macrumors newbie

Free shipping mate :) Uncle owns a shipping company :) Duties - No issues.

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I hope whoever returned your refurb was a hand washer :p And hope you don't have to return it then:)

16. leman macrumors 604

Refurbs can have scratches etc., it's clearly stated on Apples website. But if there will be any imperfection, they'll be really minor.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its possible, in some cases they're returned computers and so if the prior owner nicked it up, the next buyer will get those.

18. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Just an FYI - I've purchased probably 7-10 refurbs in my lifetime and every one of them has looked new out if the box. There is a chance a new one could have a small nick as well. If you aren't happy, you return it and buy another one or ask for an exchange.

Anyone who is so paranoid they choose not to save a bunch of money by buying an Apple refurb has serious issues. To those people, I say enjoy paying hundreds for a different cardboard box. It has been well known for years that buying an Apple refurb isn't the same as buying a refurb from another company.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Most of the time these are returned items which people return within 14 days of buying, so any damage would be very minimal if any. maybe a small nick or scratch. I think if it was significant damage Apple would replace the outer shell, at least they do so for iPhones and iPads. I would think macbooks would be the same.