Macbook Pro 15" Retina bought December '14

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcharnock, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jcharnock macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I bought a retina macbook pro 15" in December and for about a month now I've had very faint grey lines appearing in the top left corner of my screen and took it to the apple store and he offered to take it and repair it then but I couldn't do that as I needed it to finish university work. Now I've opened the laptop today and there's multi coloured lines appearing vertically but they stop at a curve which looks like a crack? But it's not a crack, when I rub my finger over it, there's nothing to indicate that it's a crack.. the laptops only about 3 months old and I've got the 3 years warranty with it.. they won't try and charge me will they?

Here are pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Looks like a cracked screen to me. I'm guessing they will try to charge you, but maybe you can argue that it was related to the previous issue?

3. jcharnock thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it looks like it's cracked, but when i rub my finger over it, theres nothing there at all it's totally smooth.. really annoying!

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are several layers to a LCD screen. The outermost layer probably isn't cracked.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Shouldn't do

That looks like a screen or graphics issue.

It is also a problem we have seen a few times on here and apple have just fixed it.

6. jcharnock thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple are coming to collect the laptop for fixing tomorrow. The little scratch looking thing is only about 1.5cm long and I've had a screen fault before this which they were going to fix but I couldn't at the time.. what's the best thing to say if they try and say it's my fault?

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Some here would most likely suggest a loud and firm, "Efff you ... fix it!" I'm inclined to suggest a more polite approach, yet just as firm (no sense throwing a tantrum like a spoiled child.)

8. jcharnock thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. they said it's a crack and that I'm not covered. Have no clue at all how I've cracked it.. they said it's going to cost me £744 and to check it's covered under house insurance, but unfortunately it's not..

How easy is it to do a retina screen replacement?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Not the easiest but possible.

Here is the ifixit guide.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...ay+Mid+2012+Display+Assembly+Replacement/9708

10. jcharnock thread starter macrumors newbie

After talking to a senior mac advisor on the phone they're actually repairing it for free now, thank god!

I read online that they void the warranty/applecare of a machine if the screen has to be replaced, is this true?

11. SE43 macrumors member

Not if it's done at Apple.

12. jcharnock thread starter macrumors newbie

It's getting done at an authorized center, I assume this is classed as Apple?

13. SE43 macrumors member

Not 100% sure on that, but I assume if it's an Apple authorized center then you should be fine. I'd ask them when you take it.