Macbook Pro 15 Retina, CPU Choice ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mesca, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mesca macrumors member

Dear guys,

I am currently hypothesizing to switch from my actual setup (iMac 27'' 2009 with mounted SSD and 16GB + Macbook Pro 13'' 8GB SSD as well) to just a single Macbook Pro 15'' Retina. In future I may purchase an updated Cinema Display.

Therefore my doubts are actually related to the laptop's CPU. Apple offers you two kind of upgrade:
    • Intel Core i7 quad-core a 2,5GHz, Turbo Boost fino a 3,7GHz
    • Intel Core i7 quad-core a 2,8GHz, Turbo Boost fino a 4,0GHz
    Which one is worth it ? None ?

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It all depends on how you use it.

Look at the benchmarks and determine if the increased in numbers in a benchmark makes it worthwhile for the cost increase.

I don't think you'll notice very much real world differences tbh, but that's just me.

I think I read you'll see benchmarks under 10% faster with the 2.8 and real world increase with the faster processor is around 4 percent.

3. mesca thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help.

I actually forgot to mention that my usage is probably a little more than the average user, in the past few years I haven't stressed my iMac with high computional applications, such as video editing or 3D modelling. I usually have done some Photoshop with vacations' photos or coding or gaming. In the instance of the latter a more powerfull CPU won't make a big difference.

Do you have any reference to benchmark wherein different configurations are evaluated ?

Best

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Note there are different results for 32 bit, 64 bit and single vis multiple core. Uness you have a app optimized for multiple cores, do most you comparisons using 64 bit single core.

5. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

In all honesty, you won't really see any noticeable difference between the processor speeds. It's only where you are performing highly CPU-intensive tasks that you start to notice the difference. For the majority of people, the differences are negligible. Save yourself some buck and go for the 2.5Ghz option. :)

6. mesca thread starter macrumors member

In order to save some bucks I should go for the default configuration: Intel Core i7 quad-core a 2,2GHz.

Did you mean this or to evaluate a moderate upgrade going with 2,5GHz ?

@MCAsan

Great dude, good source! Thank you

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you go for the 2.2GHz option, you lose the 750M and also 512GB SSD.

I'd recommend the stock high-end (2.5/16/512/750M).

8. mesca thread starter macrumors member

Just for the record I opted for the above mentioned :D