MacBook Pro 15 Retina Hard Freeze

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by -Ray-, Aug 25, 2013.

1. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

Is any one else experiencing a hard freeze with Mavericks and their retina? Mine has been happening lately, mostly when using cpu intensive stuff on a low battery level.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Any console logs that you could maybe link to the time of the crashes?

/Applications/Utilities/Console.app

3. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

The last console log right before it crashed was it being unable to find a specific font

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Well it's hard to say with just one occurrence but if you freeze again and get a similar or the same log I would say that it's definitely the problem and you could probably fix it by either reinstalling the specific font or reinstalling the OS.

Since I've seen no other post like this I'd assume it's an issue specific to either your install (probably caused by a problem during installation), or 3rd party apps you're running or maybe even some problem with your machine (but I highly doubt that).

5. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Yup, I have this. Just had it freeze a few minutes ago. It seems to occur when I use Safari (not whenever I use it, but I don't recall it locking up within any other app). It doesn't happen often, but I've definitely had five or six total lockups since I started using Mavericks.

6. Northgrove macrumors 65816

Same here. Sudden, complete freezes when using Safari on a Retina MBP. No special computer load in terms of RAM or CPU when it has happened. Has happened maybe 3-4 times since acquiring Mavericks GM. I'll pay better attention to the system logs and date of freeze from here on.

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Yes, this has happened to me twice since GM release. Can't put a finger on the cause.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

This has been happening to my rMBP since Dev preview 3. When in Safari and always on battery power, the system will freeze. This happens very rarely, even in the GM. I cleaned up my system, launch agents, daemons, etc, and since then it hasn't frozen again. That doesn't mean that the problem is solved though. I guess we will have to see..
    I have submitted a bug report a while ago but Apple couldn't find the reason for the freezes.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

I just got a brand new 13" rMBP 2.5 i5/8gb/128gb SD and I've had a hard freeze using Safari too.

10. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It happened about twice during the developer previews on my 15" retina.

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It happened again today while I was scrolling the Macrumors forum..

For those of you that have the freezes: Do you have Adobe Flash installed?

12. rmerpes macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I've noticed (rare&random) complete system freezes in the GM with Pixelmator in a MBPr 13" early 2013.

I strongly suspect from reading the crash logs that the Intel HD4000 GPU drivers are to blame.

Don't know if somebody is having the same issue...

Regards