MacBook Pro 15" Retina - IR is a real problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foxdanger, Jul 24, 2013.

1. foxdanger macrumors newbie

The thing is, my I bought one MPB 2.3 (october 2012) and has LG monitor.

It has a little IR. My question is... What is the REALY problem of the IR? It will get worst ever and ever and one day it will be everything destroyed?

Or this will stay forever just in this level, just little shadows in grays backgrounds?

And, I'm in Canada and I will leave the country in 20 days, day can resolve/change it in this time? It's free?

Tnx a lot for every answer!

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

IR is a beast and will likely get worse. Do yourself a favor and take it in to get the display replaced.

3. foxdanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Tnx for the tip man.

So, here in Toronto - Canada, is free to change? Mine stills in warranty - not apple care, but has 6 months warranty yet, so is free?

And you think they will do in less than 15 days?

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

I dont think so, how do you meassure that IR will be a "one problem" for you?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I once ignored a slight backlight bleeding problem on my Mac... end result is that I'm out of warranty and a screen that has massive bleeding and discoloration in some corners.

If you have the time, let them replace the screen under warranty.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Yes, should be free and in most cases have heard the genius can do it right in the store overnight or even the same day, just make an appointment ASAP

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, if you're noticing an issue, then definitely take it in for service. There's no need to live with it. There are reports that it gets worse over time. Even if it didn't get worse over time, you paid enough $$ for it, so why settle.

8. foxdanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Great guys, so I will take it to the store. Lets see what happens.

And this Genius Bar, how can I make an appointment there? There is a place to do it in Toronto - Canada?

I hope I got one Samsung screen in the first attempt :D

9. Acronyc macrumors 6502

IR can be an issue, but as long as you are under warranty and your IR is noticeably bad you should get a new screen without a problem.

Just to relay my experience with this, I bought my 15" rMBP in December 2012 and it came with an LG screen, first version. I used it for six months without the slightest hint of IR. I thought all this talk of IR was a bit overblown. Unfortunately, last month I first noticed faint IR on my screen when I minimized Chrome and saw an outline of the window. It would fade after a few minutes, so I didn't think much of it and it didn't impede my usage.

It started to get a bit worse over a two week period, so I took it in to the Apple store and they ran their IR test. It passed and they sent me on my way, but told me if it got worse to come back and they would re-run the test. I was fine with this because the IR still wasn't bad enough to notice too much in regular usage.

However, unfortunately over the ensuing weeks it got a lot worse; so bad that I could clearly read text and see entire windows and applications on regular desktop backgrounds and over other windows and applications after only a minute or so on the screen. I took it back to the Apple store, they re-ran the test, and it clearly failed. They offered me a free screen replacement, which of course I took.

My repair was sent out to a service center on a Friday and I got an email on the following Monday morning that it was ready. Picked it up and the screen was installed perfectly and not a hint of IR. Checked the screen out of curiosity and it is a Samsung. A bit warmer than the LG, but an equally impressive screen.

Anyway, I would say that if you have bad IR and are still under warranty Apple will replace it. In my experience it did get worse over time. So if it is bad enough to bother you, take it in. No need to live with it and constantly worry about it becoming a long-term issue.

10. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

Call the apple service hotline. They'll make the appointment when you call them. Also don't be late. If you're not there when it's your turn they'll go to the next appointment and you'll be send back home to make another appointment.

11. MacReloaded, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Go here and select a store and time.

Replacement displays are mostly, if not, all Samsung now. I didn't get an LG and I haven't heard any reports of anyone getting an LG for a while.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Excellent post and advice, better safe than sorry outside of warranty !

13. foxdanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Like fskywalker said, EXCELLENT post! Tnx a lot man!

And tnx for everyone who post here. Tnx guys!

Tomorrow I have an appointment in Yorkdale with the guys in Genius Bar, I hope they run the test and mine need to change the screen :D

I hope, like MacReloaded said, they change directly to one Samsung model :D

The thing is, I have only until October of warranty, and in Brazil we don't have apple store in Rio de Janeiro yet. They are going to there, but I don't know when will open, so… I hope they change the screen now :D

14. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Agreed with everyone above if the problem is noticible get apple to replace it and enjoy not having to worry

My replacement was painless and quick

15. foxdanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah! Mine too!

Today I was in the Genius Bar and the guy was great. He run the test and my Macbook Pro fails :D

So they will replace the screen and call me in 7 or less days :D

Great, now fingers crossed to get a Samsung one :D

16. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Having been watching the retina IR issues over the last year, word is LG has stepped up their displays so still hope for a samsung, but if you get an LG don't sweat too hard.

Glad it's getting fixed.

17. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Mine didn't fail their test but it was so obvious is normal use that they couldn't deny it. Told me it would take a week got it back in 36 hrs

18. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I actually had to replace my screen after the IR got so bad it would start after a few seconds. Having a white page open for at most 30 seconds would cause the image to last nearly 30 minutes.

This wasn't even jus the case on greys, it would show severe IR on some colours as well. So I'd always see IR.

Since I'm in Ireland I had to use an Authorised Service Provider. In my case I went to Compu b

The chap was nice enough, and he wanted me to show him the problem. I logged in and their website was still in my browser window. I just left it and he didn't really understand why wasn't doing anything. He asked why wasn't I loading a test. Told him we'll wait 30 seconds.

I then switched to my background, and we could still clearly see the website.
    He put my issue down as defective display with burn in marks.

So I get told it'll be at most 3-5 working days. I handed the laptop in Wendesday, I got a call Friday morning that it's ready for pick up.

Ran the terminal line, and I got a Samsung screen. No issues now, and it's great.

I still haven't peeled off the plastic off the back of my new screen.

19. foxdanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Great guys!

I got mine rMBP today and they change the screen for an Samsung one!!!!

o/

Tnx for every tip guys!