Macbook Pro 15" Retina Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ModernMosis, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ModernMosis macrumors newbie

Hello,

Something hit my screen causing damage to the internal in my screen. I was quoted at $495 from a local repair shop to replace the entire screen. I just wanted some other input on whether this seems reasonable.

Thanks

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

It seems reasonable. I'm sure they have to get it from Apple. Go to Apple and see what they will charge you. Most of the cost is the screen. I had mine replaced recently and it took less than an hour to replace it.

If you don't want to pay that much, you can always see if there is one for cheap on eBay and do it yourself.

3. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

4. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Is it still under warranty? If so, if you use an authorized service center then the replacement screen will carry the remaining warranty as the notebook. LCD's from other sources usually have 30 or 90 day warranty, and Apple will not replace it if you get a line on the LCD or some such in the future. Something to consider if you bought Applecare and have a ways to go.

5. ModernMosis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been looking for DIY kits and the price seems just about $100 less than my quote. To me i would rather pay the $100 to be sure it is done right, since these retina MacBooks are so damn complicated. I will defiantly get a quote from apple, I just got scared because everything i read is that apple would charge me $700-$900.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Sadly my macbook's warranty is expired so at this point its just about who can do it for the least amount of money. I still have no idea what happened to it. I woke up and the screen was broken. I knew back when i bought the laptop i should buy applecare but I was lazy and stupid. :/