MacBook Pro 15" seems huge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahostmadsen, May 14, 2017.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

So, I'm thinking of buying a 15" MacBook Pro. I just went to check it out at the Apple Store, and it seems huge. Do people actually carry that around like a laptop, or mainly use it as desktop replacement?

Currently I have a 12" MacBook, and I used to have an iMac, which broke. So, I was thinking of buying a 15" MacBook Pro rather than a new iMac. Perhaps keeping my 12" MacBook alongside the 15" MacBook?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

People car them every day. And even bigger and heavier windows laptops. They are fast and powerful and quite compact.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

People don't typically put them in their pockets or carry them with one hand. If you need to take one with you every day, it's common to use a small backpack. It's easier to transport laptops that way without minor damage. As for it being large, I think that's just due to your use of a 12" laptop. The statement seems ridiculous to me. The idea of paying the cost of a 15" macbook pro just to use it as a desktop also seems ridiculous to me.

Remember that in general, you're buying it for you. If it seems like a burden to you, you will probably regret the purchase.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Huge? The 15" notebook is pretty well standard issue and the MacBook Pro is definitely on the skinny side of the spectrum. Heck, it weighs a full pound less than the 13" white and black MacBooks did.

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The new 15" MacBook Pro is almost the same size as an equivalent Windows 13" laptop

6. Eason85 macrumors member

Eason85

14", maybe. It's slightly less volume than an XPS 15. A little more shallow but less wide (due to ratio). It is quite light, though.

If the 15" macbook at under 4 lbs is too big for you, then stick with a tablet/ ~2lbs computer.

7. Rina11 macrumors member

Rina11

Coming from a 13 inch MBA to a 15 inch MBP it does seem way bigger but I wouldn't say huge

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It *almost* fits the bag I used to carry my 13" MBP in. I mean I could carry it in there, but can't close the straps.

9. Rorosbutt macrumors regular

The 2016 15" MBP is sooo compact (even compared to the 2015.) If I had the money, and use, I would've got a 15" but went with a 13".

10. fokmik macrumors 65816

if this current macbook pro is huge, you should take a look at classic 15" macbook pro before retina,heavier and even bigger

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Coming from a 12" laptop, I can understand the feeling, but its not huge and people do use/commute/travel with the 15" all the time.

12. robvas macrumors 68020

It's thin and light, but it takes up a ton of desk space compared to the 13". You're looking at 33% more surface area.

Carrying from home to work, no big deal, but if you're carrying it around all day, using it on the train/plane/cafe, go with a 13" or 12"

13. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was planning to keep my 12" MacBook. So, I would have two laptops: the MacBook for lighter work, and the MacBook Pro for heavy work. Does that seem crazy?

Ideally, I would like to have the MacBook Pro for heavy work + iPad pro for lighter work. But the iPad is not there yet. So, the setup would be complicated: an iPad pro for super light work, MacBook for medium work, and MacBook Pro for heavy work.

14. robvas macrumors 68020

I like having 2 laptops but it is expensive and can be a little goofy

15. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I'm a big guy, 6,1 210 but I always prefer much smaller laptops, I used to have a 12 inch powerbook and now use a 13 inch MBP.

16. robvas macrumors 68020

when I think big guy I don't think 6 foot 200lb

17. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

That is big these days? I'm 6,3. Back in the days I was in high school, I was 4th smallest male person in my class (out of 16 males). My classmates still look down on me when I see them now and there :(

18. danniexi, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

danniexi macrumors 6502

i carry my 15" tbMBP everyday (i use it for both work and home). no issues here. it seemed large at first coming from a 13" MBA but have now gotten used to the size and weight.

my setup of choice was either the 15" MBP or the 12" rMB/27" iMac combo to replace my MBA/27 iMac, but ultimately decided to do with away with the laptop/desktop and consolidate everything into one machine. the 15" MBP completely fits the bill. i see no reason to have both a MacBook and MacBook Pro. I'd rather wait for an updated iMac if possible. If not, go refurbished or used to save some money and get a new desktop when appropriate.

19. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

And some people say that Apple shouldn't have decreased the MBP size :)

I have a 15" and I carry it to work and back every day. I have a nice Booq Boa Squeeze backpack and it fits nicely. Sometimes I carry it in a shoulder bag too.

It's not huge, but if you're used to 13" or even 12" - it does seem large. But I think the 15" is, actually a sweet spot between portability and work area. A lot of people think it's 13" - and for some people it is true, depending on what you do. However, I find the 15" much better for Photoshop and Zbrush work that I do.

20. thadoggfather, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I had my fun with the 15" MacBook Pro's (pre-unibody, and unibody. all pre-retina) but I've been a 13" fan for some time now,

Had the 13" Air, 12" rMB, now 13" nTB

especially now that the 13" Pro's have speakers that are facing outwards, I see zero reason to be tempted into 15"

except for 13" being integrated graphics, non issue for me though. Maybe even a bonus, battery life wise.

To me, and this is just me, the surface area of the whole keyboard/case area, seems like a tremendous waste on the 15" and proportionally off, from the buffer area between keyboard and the toppled display, wrist rest area, and massive speakers (I haven't listened to them, but would speculate their size isn't justified by the sound), that trackpad seems comically large

the 13" trackpad is more than adequately Huge but luxuriously so,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I decided to order the 15" MBP. The 12" MacBook has a too small screen for my work, I think the 15" is sufficient (right now, I connect the 12" to an external screen at my desk). But I will keep the 12" MacBook (since it's owned by my work, I cannot just sell it anyway).