Macbook pro 15' sleepmodus 5 seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onesixty, Apr 12, 2013.

1. onesixty macrumors newbie

hello,

I'm really concerned about a problem i have with my mb.
    Today is the 4th time within the last 6 months that my macbook suddenly goes black and the programs stop working for about 5 seconds, and after that the screen goes back on and the programs start working again.

looks like it goes into sleep for 5 secs?

Today i noticed that it happend when i lifted my cellphone from my macbook, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it catched my eye.

I use my macbook to run traktor scratch pro (dj program) so it would be a big nightmare if it would happen at a party :/

I took my mbp to a repair store one week ago because i had an internet problem and they installed a new harddrive so that isn't the problem i guess.

I'm not a computer expert at all so this is the best way i can describe it :p

2. duervo, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If your cellphone has a magnet in it (i.e.: BlackBerry), keep it away from the laptop.

The magnet in the phone can trigger the one in your laptop, causing it to "sleep" in the manner that you describe.

Here's a video from a person that thinks it's a bug with the MBP. Mildly humorous to me, but at least shows you where the magnet is located within the system in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pI6jKMc5qM

Also, the magnets in headphones can cause the same behavior. So, don't forget to keep that in mind when you're working.