Macbook pro 15' sleepmodus 5 seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onesixty, Apr 12, 2013.

1. onesixty macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2013

I'm really concerned about a problem i have with my mb.
    Today is the 4th time within the last 6 months that my macbook suddenly goes black and the programs stop working for about 5 seconds, and after that the screen goes back on and the programs start working again.

looks like it goes into sleep for 5 secs?

Today i noticed that it happend when i lifted my cellphone from my macbook, not sure if that has anything to do with it but it catched my eye.

I use my macbook to run traktor scratch pro (dj program) so it would be a big nightmare if it would happen at a party :/

I took my mbp to a repair store one week ago because i had an internet problem and they installed a new harddrive so that isn't the problem i guess.

I'm not a computer expert at all so this is the best way i can describe it :p
  2. duervo, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

Feb 5, 2011
    If your cellphone has a magnet in it (i.e.: BlackBerry), keep it away from the laptop.

The magnet in the phone can trigger the one in your laptop, causing it to "sleep" in the manner that you describe.

Here's a video from a person that thinks it's a bug with the MBP. Mildly humorous to me, but at least shows you where the magnet is located within the system in the video.

Also, the magnets in headphones can cause the same behavior. So, don't forget to keep that in mind when you're working.