Macbook pro 15 small screen crack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zillan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Zillan macrumors member

IMG_2792.JPG hi guys

Today was the day i should have been more carefull with my macbook.

When i was about to head home for work i packed all my stuff, removed my headphones from the headphone jack ans closed my laptop. Suddenly i saw that my headphones mini jack was between the screen and the computer.

After opening i saw that the plasic (or glass, dont know) was cracked :-(

I contacted apple and they said to have an expert look at it to see howmuch the repairs will cost.

Any of you guys think it will be replacable without replacing the whole screen?

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Looks like the glass over the screen. But I have no idea if they can repair it without replacing the entire screen.

You might check with some 3rd party shops and see what they want to fix it.

3. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

I think that they need to replace the entire screen...

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Probably not doable without replacing the whole screen. Honestly, I'd just ignore the crack for now if they quote you a ridiculous price. It's not on the display area and the hinge positions it below the surface line when opened up. Maybe in the future that individual lower glass piece will be available for purchase from a third party on eBay or iFixit - but even still it'll be hard to get the current part off the adhesive.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Better bring your MBP to a third party so that the display can be replaced.

Apple would charge you an arm and a leg.

6. Zillan thread starter macrumors member

What makes you guys think the whole display needs replacement? Only the bottom bar is damaged.

I think i have no other option but to go to Apple. Third party repair services cant get the parts yet.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

id tape the 2 corners (im a bit ocd about symmetry) and forget about it

8. leman macrumors 604

The display is a laminated sheet of multiple layers of glass and other components, if they replace it they must replace everything. Which basically means replacing the entire display assembly.

9. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Agree.

Black adhesive tape should do the job.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Because the whole top lid/screen is treated as a single repair item and is not designed to be taken apart once manufactured, the glass is bonded/glued to the LCD.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the display is a single laminated component at this point and it will need to be replaced in its entirety. Wait until they give you an estimate but I wouldn't be surprised to see a hefty repair bill on this

Bummers on the damage :(

12. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

The Apple store will just replace the whole display. Probably won't be cheap though. I know from experience the display assembly for a 13" mid 2014 rMBP is £278 before labour.

13. m4rk0 macrumors member

Me too lol. What he said anyway. Don't even think about bringing it to apple, they'll peel your skin.

If you want to take it a step further, consider getting a Moshi ivisor to cover it as well as turn your screen into an antiglare one. https://www.moshi.com/ivisor-pro-15-for-macbook-pro-15#black-clear-matte

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The "black tape" fix may be the best suggestion.
    Unless you want to spend A LOT of money...

15. xthine macrumors regular

xthine

My daughters:

[​IMG]

Quoted 1200USD to replace. Solution? Black electrical tape. If it starts to affect the screen resolution then I'll have it replaced.