Macbook Pro 15 - Suddenly Noisy!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidLeigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DavidLeigh macrumors member

Hi all,

This is kind of driving me nuts! So up until a week ago, my macbook pro 15 had what I considered a normal noise level. Basically all you heard was the light "breathing" noise coupled with drive reading and loading noise. However, from early this week onwards i suddenly got an additional low-pitched buzzing machine noise! I don't know if i'm being sensitive, but i'm sure it wasn't there previously. The only thing i've done recently is i've installed a lot of updates like the Safari update, firmware etc. Are these updates known to affect the fan and noise level of the machine?! I have tried taking of the back cover and cleaning the fans. The fans are clean as far as i'm aware. I don't know why i'm getting this buzzing sound. It is fairly perceptable when i'm siting close and using my macbook against low ambient noise. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Regards,

2. nlynch77 macrumors member

Most likely your hard drive or fans. If the computer isn't too old, doesn't have a history of being dropped, and is unmodded, it should be fine.
    Replacing your noisy HDD with a slick SSD would do more than kill the noise level.

3. DavidLeigh thread starter macrumors member

This isn't normal. I had it for around a year. I have not moved it around substantially and like i said the noise suddenly appeared. Why should the HDD suddenly become noisy.

4. nlynch77 macrumors member

Maybe the noise was always there and you're only starting to notice it now, or something about your audible environment changed recently.
    At any rate, you should read up on the Apple Hardware Test to make sure that it's not a dangerous problem.