MacBook Pro 15 TB 2017 Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeanPSN, May 21, 2018.

1. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

I love this MBP, design, materials and performance is nice however, i had only problems with it.

First of all, it was purchased brand new in late October 2017. After just 2 months the left speakers completely blew with a very loud "electric" noise which destroyed them. (This happened under macOS HS, not bootcamp because i never used it on this). I was so pissed off after paying €3.4k for this and having this happen, but i said to myself hey, **** happens, so i took it to the nearest Apple shop where they took it right away from me and they replaced the entire top casing (keyboard, battery, touchpad, etc) This entire process took a bit more than a week because they had to order new parts, so i was without my MBP for this time which was frustrating since i use it a lot for my work.

Fast forward 3 months later, random keys get stuck ocasionally, enter key sometimes needs to be pressed multiple times to work and so on, but this happens only sometimes. Now the "4" seems like its pushed in compared to other keys and this was the last drop honestly.
    I'm very OCD about my stuff, i keep it spotless clean so there is no dust issues and this bothers me very much.
    I did a quick google search and turns out the butterfly keyboard issue is very widespread and there is a lawsuit against Apple on this, so i went ahead and contacted Apple online, where they confirmed the issue and theynsaid they are aware, however its still under investigation.
    At this point i'm fed up with this nonsense, i paid for a premium product and i expect flawless quality with no such issues, so they booked me in for appointment later today because i told them i demand a new replacement, no more repairs!
    I didn't pay €3.4k to have this torn apart 2 times and parts replaced and if they will refuse to replace it for free with a brand new one, i will go to cosumer rights and take them to court.

PS: One of the main reasons i demanded a new replacement, is because last time when they took it for repair, they scratched the bottom case where they tried to.pry it open, so i refuse to let them take it apart again. The MBP was 2 months old at the time and had dbrand skin on it since taken out from box, so it was in new condition when i gave it to them for repair.

Any thoughts on these issues?
    I will keep updated later on today after my appointment

Attached Files:

2. blackdbird macrumors member

blackdbird

i had the same issue , first my X / S / Shift key were not working properly , i didn't heard the click sound and i had to push hard on them , i went to apple store , and they changed the complete top of it as it was in warranty , then within a month my left speaker blew up , the same as yours , Again changed the complete top casing , then 20 days ago my right speaker blew up then again they changed the whole top case , and the beauty of it is that you get 0 life cycle battery :p .. which works as they are famous for throttling the cpu .. now sometimes my screen flickers , but now i have extended my apple warranty , its easy to pay 350$ for apple warranty rather then paying 800$ and i m sure that my macbook will get some kind of issue again .. i would suggest use the apple warranty as much as you can and extend it with apple care , and wait for the new macbook pro which doesn't have these issues ,

3. DeanPSN thread starter macrumors regular

DeanPSN

The thing is i don't feel good having them taking apart my macbook, since last time they managed to scratch it when they tried to open the bottom. Like i said, i'm very OCD about my stuff...
    I will push them for new replacement today, because i don't want them opening it again and having to wait another week without it.

+ I had first time dbrand skin and now i have again and last time they removed it, so i would end up wasting ~100$ just for the skins they remove to service the macbook.

4. blackdbird macrumors member

blackdbird

its highly unlikely that they will give you a new unit as there is no problem with the logicboard , let us know how its goes

5. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Not knowing much about the consumer laws in you country I can only speak from what I know from Denmark. But I think you will have a hard time demanding a new units, as most consumer laws allows the company to try to repair first instead of replace. in Denmark, a company will have 2 tries to repair the "same" broken part, of course this will extend the warranty on that part, on the 3rd try you as a consumer can claim the unit defective and get a equally replacement or money back.

How big a scratch did they make on the bottom plate? if it were to big I would ask for a new of those.
    Any new machine will have the chance of the same keyboard problems... so you are out of luck with that

6. leman macrumors G3

They are required to fix the problem, I very much doubt though that they are obliged to offer you a replacement under your local law. Sorry that you are having all these issues, it sounds very annoying.

7. DeanPSN thread starter macrumors regular

DeanPSN

It is very annoying indeed, the problem is that i don't think its acceptable for a brand new machine to fail twice within few months of purchase, thats why i will ask for replacement.
    I will keep updated this thread.

8. DeanPSN thread starter macrumors regular

DeanPSN

Just an update:
    I left the MBP for repair which will take 5-7 days... they will replace the entire top once again with keyboard, speakers and all that.

On the other hand, i got in touch with one of Apple senior advisors because i'm not happy at all with these issues that happened already 2 times in 6 months of purchase.
    So he passed on all his details and said even after the 1 Year Limited Warranty, if the same issues occurs, they keep records of all the repairs and it will be no problem repairing it free of charge and if the issues will persist they can decide that the MacBook is not suited for its purpose and they can replace it with a brand new one free of charge also.

So after all, i'm pretty happy with the outcome and hope will not need anymore service done until the next redesign when i will upgrade.

9. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

Apple can told you they found liquid damage (coincidence?) and there will be no further free repairs, end of story

10. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

I've had a hard time buying a Mac with confidence since 2011. They no longer seem as wholesome products. iPads and iPhones are the only product worth buying from Apple at the moment, even though iOS 11 is buggy.

11. DeanPSN thread starter macrumors regular

DeanPSN

Don't know in which country you are, but here in Ireland they won't dare to f@ck around like this and this what you saying can easily be proven wrong and sue them. There is 6 years consumer rights with every purchased product and Apple staff is very friendly over here.
    I'm just dissapointed with the quality issues for such premium product but, im pretty confident they will come out soon with the keyboard issues and replace them with new "fixed" versions, same as the LCD delamination problem on older macbooks which they silently offered 4 years free replacement from the purchase date.

12. _Kiki_, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

_Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

I'm from UK and after some coincidence? with other laptop (MBP 13 2013) I was scary to leave my MBP 15 2016 for hinges repair

court+good solicitor will cost you more than the laptop is worth, citizen advice is useless, you can't win with Apple if something will go wrong, seemingly friendly doesn't mean they are your friend