Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsphotocreation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Hello everybody :)

I've a MacBook Pro 15' unibody since mid-November and I'm very happy about it. Before, I was on a laptop PC and when I had my MacBook Pro it was a real new life: no noises, no venting, etc... a real better computer for my working life.

Although, for about 3 or 4 days I've noticed something very strange, maybe it's normal or not but I've noticed that my MacBook Pro is always venting. It doesn't make any noticeable noise, but it is venting.

So is it normal? or maybe i didn't noticed that before, cause coming from with PC with all the noises and stuff I was kinda relieved with Mac. And now with all this calm, maybe I notice every little sounds lol.

So tell me, when your MacBook Pro is turned-off for a while or in Stand-by mode, so when it's cold while touching it, tell me if when you start or wake it up, do you hear a venting sound ? Touch or hear at the back of the screen and tell me lol

Regards,

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
Even if the fans aren't running, there's likely to be a bit of air movement simply due to the convection caused by the hot internals of the machine. My MacBook Pro always has a little bit of air movement no matter what it's doing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Even if the fans aren't running, there's likely to be a bit of air movement simply due to the convection caused by the hot internals of the machine. My MacBook Pro always has a little bit of air movement no matter what it's doing.

The fans on a MBP are always running at a minimum speed of around 2000 rpm. They'll spin faster if temps are sustained at a high level for a period of time. It's perfectly normal.

Get iStat Pro to monitor fan speed, temps, battery health and many other things.

rsphotocreation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Thanks a lot for your answers, so even if I take my MacBook Pro very cold and I turn it on, it will be venting a little.

So I'm relieved now :) thanks a lot for your answers. I think it's because I was used to PC and having changed for Mac I thought it was very quiet, and now with all that silent I hear every little noise lol

Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.