MacBook Pro 15" vs iMac 27"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Orlandoech, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Orlandoech, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'm contemplating on selling my 15" MBP and 24" U2410 IPS Panel Monitor in my sig for an iMac 27" with iPad2 and wanted to hear/read people's advice on a performance comparison between the two. I know I would lose my second HDD via Optibay if I got an iMac and have to run an external through USB or FW for now (Until TB was cheaper).

I rarely game and if I do its like Civilization, some Mac App Store Games (nothing extensive really), I do a lot of heavy photo and video editing in Photoshop, Premier, FCP7 and I do some webdev from time to time.

Here is my current MBP setup and two iMac configs I was debating, keep in mind if I do buy a iMac I would also add 8 or 16GB ram and an SSD.

Current MBP Setup:
    Dell u2410 IPS Panel 24" Monitor (I'd sell this if I got an iMac)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS (128GB)
    Optibay 750GB 7200RPM HDD
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

iMac Setup #1: $1439
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Originally released May 2011
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory (Id upgrade to 8GB or 16GB 1333mhz)
    1TB hard drive (Id replace with an OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS)
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

iMac Setup #2: $1699
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Originally released May 2011
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory (Id upgrade to 8GB or 16GB 1333mhz)
    1TB hard drive (Id replace with an OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS)
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

2. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

It really goes down to portability.

Your MBP is a very decent machine but if you only use it at home, like you would with a desktop, then the portability factor doesn't do much. In which case I would recommend the iMac (any of the two, but the 3.1 is an awesome machine, specially with 8 or 16 GB of RAM!). If you're looking for an iPad too, you might just have the best combo: power and portability.

3. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Performance wise what is faster? MBP i7 system or a iMac i5 system? I know i7 CPU is faster than the i5 CPU, but the iMac system has better GPU and capable of more memory.

CPU - MBP
    GPU - iMac
    HDD - Tie (SSD)
    MEM - 8GB 1600MHZ vs 8/16GB 1333MHZ
    DISPLAY - iMac
    INTERNAL STORAGE - MBP w/ Optibay Mod

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Last November I went the other way, sold a 27" iMac and 13" MBP for a 15" MBP and external. Never looked back.

It is not that one option is better or worse, it is that one option will suite yuor style better. If you can leave the house without a real computer so that an iPad will fill all your portable needs then do it. If an iPad does not meet ALL your portable needs then....

5. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Where you already have a MBP + a monitor , why not just pick up a Mac Mini , and change the HD for an SSD.

You seem to be good at taking Mac`s apart and "macsales-dot-com" has a video for the HD replacement for an MM.

Save a few bucks , and you won`t lose all the work you have done.

That is what I would do !!:D

Later ,

G 

6. afrye707 macrumors newbie

Get the iMac

I am all about the new iMac's. My wife is the producer of a TV and works with a lot of HD video clips in final cut pro. We also do photography and graphic design. We had a Macbook Pro from 2009 and we got a new 15" Macbook Pro. Don't get me wrong we loved the macbook pro(s) but as soon as we got the i7 iMac the laptops have been shut down for sometime, and we are going to sale the 2009 model. We take a iPad around with us and we use it to show of video, photos, and design projects. Go with the iMac you won't regret it.

7. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    iMac setup #2 plus an iPad or MBAir for portability.

geez you must have some $ to spare :rolleyes:

8. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If I sell my current MBP I could use the funds to buy the iMac and iPad, I wouldnt keep the MBP so, no, Im poor :(

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would just keep the MBP. If you don't game, the GPU is more than enough for what you need to do, and you wouldn't see a performance boost, at least not noticeably.

10. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Another reason I wanted to switch was because I wanted a 27" ACD but cant justify the $1000, so I thought of getting a similar spec/performing iMac and iPad2 for the same cost.

The question is gonna come down to what do I want./need more 27" ACD/iMac or mobility.

I RARELY travel out of town, but I do on occasion and would like to take my MBP.

11. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

If you go the iMac route, shoot me a pm for how much you want for your MBP haha.

12. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

tough decision haha. honestly i toyed around with selling my MBP and getting an Imac. they are very nice machines but you will loose that portability when the time comes. i tried to convince myself that an imac would be great for a desktop and ill have my iphone 4 for mobile internet (i graduated college so i wouldn't need a laptop to go to class, nor do i have a job that requires a laptop for mobile work)

I like your MBP + dell monitor set up. the ACD's are very nice but i can justify the $1,000 price tag. if you mobile needs are minimal then i guess go for it and enjoy a different computing experience with the beautiful Imac.