Macbook Pro 15" vs Macbook Air 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thejadedmonkey, Feb 27, 2012.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a bit of an odd situation...

I had a macbook pro (specs in sig), and a fantastic Dell laptop that I use as my main computer, and (as you may or may not know) I've become rather anti-Apple recently.

Unfortunately, due to some bad circumstances, I lost my MBP (and all the data on it, I may or may not have a backup :( ) and it's being replaced by a brand new, 15" Macbook Pro. It's the low end model with a high-res, matte screen. It'll be a worthy replacement to my old MBP... But I just don't see a reason for it.

I also have a Dell with a dual-core i5, 1gb 6670m graphics card, and all I use it for is "productivity" (aka facebook) and gaming. a 15" Macbook Pro wouldn't be any better for either of these tasks, and if anything, the extra pixels would make gaming worse (nevermind the lower GPU ram).

So I'm considering swapping the MBP for a MBA, an Apple TV (ready for ML!), and pocketing the rest, but I can't help but feeling like I'd be giving up the best of the best, for something mediocre at best, and 2 months from obsolite at worst.

Or I could just pocket the $2000 for when the new Air's come out, but I'm afraid I'd be giving up a great MBP, or spend the money on eating out before June.

Any advice would be great.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

since you already have a dell laptop, keep the cash and wait until the next round of laptop updates. you'll probably be swayed one way or the other when the updates are actually here. just don't spend all that cash eating out before then.

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

hah, that's the issue isn't it?

That's pretty much the conclusion I reached too, but I wanted someoen to agree that not getting a mac right now was the right choice.