Macbook Pro 15 - which one? 450vs455vs460

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prymitywista, Apr 18, 2017.

?

I need good GPU but I need money too - which one is the sweet spot?

1. 450

2. 455

3. 460

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. prymitywista macrumors member

prymitywista

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for macbook pro for my work trip around north pole - that's why I need something powerful.

I'm photographer, graphic designer (really fat files with the huge dimension) and video editor. That's why I'm looking around for bigger version - 4 cores it's always better than 2 :)
    And I want to know from you guys, does it really change anything when I'll pay more for 455? Is it a significant boost of performance? To be honest, in Europe that series of macbooks pro is REALLY expensive. And I've barely got enough money for 450/512GB version.

I was looking on the benchmark sites and between 450 and 455 it's not that big difference. Between 450 and 460 gap is huge, but I heard that 460 could make an artifacts on the screen and really heat up chassis.
    I really need to get this laptop with working condition for at least six month :D So 460 it's not my first choice.

TL;DR: is it worth to pay more for 455 or 450 is really alright. My question is: is this card (450) is much better than build-in intel iris 540 from 13 model?

thank you for any replies, hey!

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The benchmarks I've seen (which have shifted a lot over the months) show the 550 in the 13" with touch bar is 10% faster than the 540 in the non-touch bar, the 450 is 28% faster than the 550, the 455 is 17% faster than the 450, and the 460 19% faster than the 455.

I don't think there's any good evidence the 460 runs hot, or noticeably hotter than the others. The measurements I've seen don't support that.

You'll be glad to have the quad-core CPU in the 15" for photo editing, graphics, and video. The better dGPU will help in video editing.

Will you have external storage? You should, for backup and photos and video and so on. If you will have external storage, you could skip the 512 SSD and pay for the better dGPU instead.

3. leman macrumors G3

Frankly, I haven't seen much evidence that faster GPU indeed translates to higher performance in photo editing applications. What seems to play a decisive role is VRAM speed, and even that only for certain select filters/workflows.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

If all are in your budget I would say the 460, just because of the 4 gigs of v-ram. Newer games and programs are becoming v-ram hogs as of late. The more v-ram the better, always.

5. prymitywista thread starter macrumors member

prymitywista

yea I think I can buy 460/256 or 450/512... external drive is not a problem I've few ;) so if u say 460 I think I will go that road...

6. maj88 macrumors newbie

maj88

i went for 455 and works v. well.

you're also from poland?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the 512GB SSD, but you may very well need an external drive as a photographer anyways so the better GPU may be useful.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Photoshop is basically no faster with a top tier GPU than it is with an Intel 5x0 chip. The integrated graphics alone these days is powerful enough for most photo editing. Smoother on Windows version than Mac.

Video editing is bit more complex. FCP runs like a champ. Premiere...again faster on Windows version than Mac.

Windows just has better video drivers and that's the way it has always been.