Macbook Pro 15" whirring sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezsobre, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ezsobre macrumors member

Have a Macbook Pro, 15" running the latest version of OS X, 2.8 ghz, which I bought November 29. It's started making a constant low whir whenever the computer is on. When I try putting it to sleep, it lags for a few second after the command is entered, and it continues to whir. Then 5-10 seconds later, it goes to sleep. The whir is low, but when the room is quiet and your reading off the screen, very persceptible.

The whir sounds something like a tiny engine idling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

Whirring

The computer doesn't seem to have overheating issues that I've been able to notice.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hard disk? It's possible you just didn't notice the noise at first.

The sleep delay is intention, Macs automatically suspend to disk (hibernate) as well, in case they lose power while asleep.

4. ZionSiva macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me.

Seems like the latest SMC Firmware Update set the default fan speed higher than before, and you can now hear the sound even if you're not doing anything gpu/cpu intensive.

This is how I patched it: I downloaded SMC fan control, and use what it's written in the last post of this thread to create a preset so that the left fan spins at 1000 rpm (you have to do what's written in that post, but substitute 2000 to 1000). It's perfectly safe for browsing, writing and listening to music.

Eventually I will have it repaired, but at least now I can use the mac without my nerves collapsing. Seems like the build quality of the innards of this MCP is not really that great, sadly.

5. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

I will try that when I get home. At work now. Thing is, I haven't installed any of the apple firmware/system updates. It jsut started randomly when i booted up this morning.

6. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I played with fan control a bit, moved it up, moved it done, didn't do anything, the noise kept going. Then I pressed down gently with my thumb on the left side, and voila, its gone. Anyone have any idea what the fact i could simply use pressure with my thumb means, if anything?

Incidentally, the noise is only coming from the left side, and I have not installed the system update.

7. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

I had the same thing (I think) wrong with my computer. After some research I figured that it was probably the left fan. Ordered it from iFixit and print the repair guide. Did the repair today and can't believe how quiet my computer is again. Wasn't too bad to do the repair I just took my time and followed the directions.

8. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I get the same noise, but only when my computer has been off for a bit and is starting up cold from sleep.

Next time i hear it i'll try pushing on the corner.