MacBook Pro 15 with AMD 6490?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by isagheer, Sep 17, 2011.

1. isagheer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm buying a new Macbook pro 15 base model, and I am wondering if the AMD 6490 can adequately handle graphic intensive applications, especially with the high-res matte display upgrade.

I work in cartography, and often deal with high-resolution satellite imagery. GIS applications can be graphic intensive at times. Am I better off getting the high end Macbook pro?

I don't use my mac for gaming. My biggest concern, after reading up on the 2011 Macbook pros, is whether the AMD 6490 can handle some of my GIS applications on a high resolution screen. I am currently using the 2010 Macbook pro 15 (base model without the screen upgrade), and I've never had any problems. It is my understanding from reading forum topics that the AMD 6490 graphics are not as good at the 256MB nVidia 330M graphics.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. cactus33 macrumors member

Well my first question is, if you already have a 2010 base model that is sufficient for the job, why get a 2011 model. The early 2012 model that (supposedly) will come out next year will likely be redesigned and certainly more powerful.

As far as I am aware, the 2011 base model is a LOT faster than the 2010 base. The quad core processor is simly really fast. Also I think the 6490m is faster than the 330m, and should run DX11 (if you use windows bootcamp).

And I just remembered that there are 'rumors' that the MBP line will be upgraded later this year (end of 2011) as a minor speed upgrade. I don't know.

3. isagheer thread starter macrumors newbie

The logic board of my 2010 macbook pro died, and I do not have apple care.

I am not at all concerned about the processing power of the new macs. The only thing that worries me is that the AMD 6490 might not be able to handle some of my application on a high resolution screen. I don't know if the high-res screen even makes a difference...

4. cactus33 macrumors member

Oh in that case, go for it! The high res screen (while looking great) doesn't add That many pixels, (1650x1050 vs 1440x900). You shouldn't notice any performance decrease at all. The new chips are quite fast. Perhaps google some graphics benchmarks or something. I'd of though that the new one would be a lot faster.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 6490 really should be able to handle anything you need fine.

6. smali, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

smali macrumors regular

I'm don't know much about the program you use but I work on photoshop daily so we might have different requirements.

The 6490 has only 256mb vram. You'll quickly start seeing problems with very high res images in say programs like photoshop, like super slow scrolling, loading bars on simple operations, image tearing etc

6750 has 1gb vram (I currently own this) and I have yet to see any problems with any file any image size. I can work on 10+ layered files at 25million pixel with no issues. I even worked on a 60million pixel image and was surprised it still ran smooth.

My 6750 will serve me fine for the next 3-4 years till pixel count on digital photo files doubles, you wouldn't be able to say the same for the 6490.