MacBook Pro 15 With i7 Slow Converting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone3048, Dec 14, 2010.

1. iphone3048 macrumors member

just purchased a 15 mbp 2010. I had a 13 mbp 2010 also.My problem is this, I converted a dvd movie to be played in my iphone. i left things in default settings. It took like 25-35 minutes to do the conversion on the mbp 13 with the duo core.

i did the SAME convertion with me 15 mbp and it took about the SAME amount of time, WHY? SAME dvd, same everything. I thought the i7 would be much much faster no?

the specs on me mbp 13 was 4gb ram, 120 ocz agility 2 ssd
    the specs on my new 15 mbp is 2.8Ghz, i7, 8GB RAM, OCZ agility 2 ssd, and anti-glare high def screen (if that matters).

you would think the dvd to iphone format would be at least twice AS FAST as the 13 mbp?

Am i missing something? should i turn off the AUTO GRAPHICS SWITCHING when converting? will it make a difference?

thanks for any replies in this.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is a limit to the speed of the transcoding. I think it has to do with Handbrake being only able to use 2 cores at once. It also has to do with the DVD drive's read speed. You can only rip a DVD at a slow-ish speed.

3. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

I see, that is good to know, thanks.
    So is there an app to convert a movie to iphone format that takes advantage of the i7's Chip?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sounds like you're being limited by source as mentioned above. You won't be able to take advantage of the extra speeds w/ a slow source unless you are doing reeelly high compression with some complex codec that makes the cpu sweat.

To see if that's really the case though, i'd put a source on the local hard drive of each (or a firewire external if one's available) and do some encodes off of that. You should see faster results with the i7 particularly because of Turbo Boost.

6. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it and it says it will take 45minutes to go from .vob IN THE SSD to iphone format. That's a long time! Handbrake does it in 11minutes. I don't get it.

7. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

I have a usb samsung external dvd. Your saying I should buy a dvd external with firewire? Is firewire better than usb as far as a external dvd?

8. alust2013, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's really a matter of how fast the drive can read the DVD, not so much the connection. Optical media is considerably slower than other types, and especially with ripping, so as to get the best quality possible. The processor can't work faster if it doesn't have the information to work with any faster.

I think what the previous poster was talking about was a firewire external hard drive.

9. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

You can try Compressor (part of Final Cut Studio), You can run it in a cluster mode that allows it to think you have 4 computers (1 for each thread) and it will really speed up the compression/conversion time.

10. toxic macrumors 68000

Handbrake scales pretty well through 16 cores. it's the source that's slowing things down.

11. saxondale. macrumors 6502

Did you download the 64bit version on handbrake?

12. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

Will that make a difference? I will try when I get of work.

13. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I dont own final cut.