MacBook Pro 15" with three displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLuvin, Jan 23, 2016.

1. MacLuvin macrumors member

MacLuvin

hi people! I want to use a MacBook Pro 2011 running Windows 10 via boot camp. question is if this computer somehow can run three displays, it has an AMD Radeon HD 675M and if it can, what hardware do I need?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Do you mean three in addition to or including the built-in one?

I'm guessing the former. If that's the case, I think you'd need some sort of USB or otherwise graphics device for the third external. On its own, I don't think you can get more than two externals from it.

3. MacLuvin thread starter macrumors member

MacLuvin

I want to connect it to 3x full HD 27" displays. I don't need the MacBooks display. Could that work?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- If you employ some sort of USB graphics device for one or two of them, yes.
    But those devices are not always ideal in terms of performance.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

There are USB to HDMI adapters but performance is only okay over USB 2 and running two at once (plus a DisplayPort to HDMI) likely won't work well.

The only thing I can think of is a Matrox adapter: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital/. On paper it should give you 3x HD, but it runs at 50 Hz due to video bandwidth limitations. The 2x HD runs at the full 60 Hz.

So yes you can, but you should consider a newer machine. Even if this works, the Mac will really struggle.

Double post? http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-macbook-pro-connected-to-3-displays.1952328/

6. JTToft macrumors 68040