Macbook pro 15" x Macbook pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RICARDOVASCO, Mar 12, 2012.

1. RICARDOVASCO macrumors regular

Hi there. I'd like to buy a new Macbook pro. I got already a Macbook 13" and Im not sure if I would go for the 15" ( the expensive one which has the same configuration as the 17". Only the screen is smaller) or the 17". I will use it mostly at home and hardly will carry that with my because I got an Ipad 2. What do you guys think? Should I buy the 15 or 17? I will buy it in NYC. Is there a good place to get a discount?

Best Regards
    Ricardo

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's strictly a matter of personal preference. Only you can determine which size is best suited to your needs and wants.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've learned to buy the most screen real estate I can manage - the bigger the better.

If you're going to be using the 17" mostly at home on a desk or table, not on your lap, then I'd go for the 17".

If you think you might want more portability then the 15" will likely suit you best.

4. RICARDOVASCO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks GGJstudios! I really don't know. I like photography and maybe the 17" would be better to adjust them in LR and PS. However I got 2 big TVs ( 50 and 60") which I could also use for that. Not sure if the quality would be the same but I mean, not sure also if 300 usd worths for 17"Macbook.
    Anyway, lets see what people think too.

----------

Thanks entatlrg! Hardly I use it on the desk or table. Normaly seating on my sofa or my bed ; )
    Do you think the 17"is to big for that or the difference from 15 to 17 is not that much?

5. mrobit macrumors regular

I can't imagine that the difference between the two is massive, physically speaking, though I'm a decently tall person so a bigger laptop suits me better for couch surfing (giggle) However, the resolution difference is pretty big.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you're not going to travel with it extensively, get the 17" MBP. You may appreciate the extra screen size with photography, though purists might tell you that you should just get a calibrated monitor if you're any serious about your output. Even though I mostly use mine hooked to a 27" ACD, I love the extra resolution when traveling. FYI, I also have an MBA for my more frequent trips as it is much easier to travel with.

7. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend the 17".

If you have a 13" and don't plan to take this new machine out much, get a 27" iMac and never look back :)