Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tombubi, Jun 16, 2011.

1. tombubi macrumors regular

Hi Maclovers!! I am new to this forum. Here I would like to ask your advice for a Macbook Pro 15".

I always wanted to get a Macbook Pro 15", but what holds me back is that I saw people saying the new Macbook Pro 15" this year has problems like overheated or with its graphic card.

Since I dont know anyone in person who owns a Macbook Pro 15" 2011, I would like to know your using experience on the new Macbook Pro 15" 2011.

Thanks

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The overheating is bs. Yes it gets hot. That does not mean itsoverheating.

4. superericla macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that most people only post their problems. If everyone posted about how perfect their MacBook Pros are then those posts would outweigh the negative ones by far.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

6. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

MBP 2011 does tend to run on the warm side, and since the case is such a good conductor of heat, it can get pretty toasty. Don't confuse that with overheating though - even hot it still runs within it's operating temperature range.

If you want your laptop to be cool to the touch at all times, then a unibody MBP is definitely not for you (but then I don't think anybody makes a laptop that's this powerful yet nice and cool). If you don't mind a little warmth, then it will be the best laptop you've ever owned.

And not sure what you mean by graphic card issues, they run fine.

Polbit

7. tombubi thread starter macrumors regular

I dont mind the machine itself getting a bit warm as long as it does not crash for that. I wonder if any of you has tried connecting the new MBP to a TV or other external display. Did it work fine for that?

Thanks

8. superericla macrumors 6502

Yeah it works fine for that. It will get a bit hotter with the external display though since that activates the discrete graphics.

9. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I have a 2010 MBP 15 inch and I really love it. I owned a 2008 Macbook 13 inch before. I liked the 13 inch but I wanted a bigger screen. I was worried that traveling would be a hassle with my 15 inch, but that's not the case. The only down side imo for you getting a 15 inch Macbook Pro now is that when Apple comes out with their 2012 model, it will most likely be redesigned. But if you like the way the current one looks, then I say go for it!

10. tombubi thread starter macrumors regular

I travel sometimes, but not that often. For portability, I would prefer a 13 inch one, but I dont really like Intel graphic card and dont know why Apple decided to install that for the new ones.

I am also waiting for the refresh airs, but I guess they may also put Intel graphic cards on it as they did to 13 inch mbp.

Thanks for all the information here. Very helpful!!

11. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I went from a macbook white, to mbp 13, mbp 15 2010 and now base mbp 15 2011. Changed the harddisk to scorpio black 500gb and it runs as cool and silent as it did in my 2010. no noisy fans or vibration or anything of the sort. still blinding fast as ever :)

12. Bigmoose153 macrumors newbie

I just bought my MBP 15" two weeks ago and it runs fine. For the last week, its had Handbrake duty from sun up to sun down ripping my DVD collection. So it's basically ran at near 100% CPU utilization for that entire time, yes the fan is running but this thing just runs. Haven't turned it off once since I began...

13. macjacky11 macrumors member

I would like to know if anyone has installed windows on 2011 mbps? how did it go?

Did you use bootcamp or vmware?

14. Bigmoose153 macrumors newbie

I'm running win 7 on vmware, runs just fine.

15. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I asked the exact same question here a month ago...I bought it and its really an exaggeration that's going around...it does get a little hot before the fans kick in watching HD content or rendering but its absolutely normal.

I will never own another PC again, that's how happy i am with my decision...get it. edit and yes I purchased a cheap 12 $ mini display port to hdmi cable from amazon that works perfectly connecting to and HD TV.

Make sure under preferences/displays/ and select mirrored....if you dont have any sound go to sound and select the HDMI option instead of internal speakers.

Itll switch automatically after that but initially i had to enable those options...

16. tombubi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. That was very helpful.