Macbook Pro 15in 9400 or 9600 GT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gremsi26, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gremsi26 macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying a 15 inch macbook pro but i am having trouble deciding on if i should get the baseline mbp or pay about 200 more and get the discrete graphics.

I've done my research and i know that it is better for hardcore gaming and photo/video editing. I will be using my laptop for college, and using programs such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

I also heard about Open CL apps and snow leopard. Will the extra discrete graphics card have a difference on the performance of the laptop when snow leopard comes out (i know it is hard to say before its even out).

So, would it be a good idea to stick with the 9400 and save money or go with the 9600M GT with 256MB?

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It may be true that you don't need the extra power today, but what about tomorrow? With computers, it is generally best to buy the best you can afford. If you can afford the extra $200, go for it. It can't hurt you and will help resale later on.

3. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Definitely. If you are using photoshop and dreamweaver the GT wouldn't hurt. But even with the ED discount the base MBP with the discrete graphics costs about 1850- a large chunk 'o cash.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You'll be fine with 9400M. Adobe is very slow to add support for things like OpenCL. Of course, if 200$ isn't too much then do it.

5. gremsi26 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is true it will have a better resale value. But my main concern is, will it affect performance with watching videos, playing games (that do not use that much graphics power.. such as halo etc.), and editing images/creating websites. Will it affect performance in such a way that it is noticeable or is it going to be minor changes.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only in gaming. If you play only old games which has low system requirements, you'll get no benefit from 9600GT.

7. gremsi26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok. I considering getting the base line mbp. However i have one more question. The new Snow Leopard is going to use the power of the graphics processors and make it available to general use computing. Since its not possibe to say exactly now, do you have a guess on if there is going to be a change in performance (between the 9400 and 9600) for general use computing once snow leopard comes out.

8. Machinima macrumors newbie

Personally i notice a difference, although not a massive one, when using my 9600 in my Unibody just within the OS X operating system itself, things happen snappier and smoother, and i would consider it even just for this benefit worth the $200 extra, however it depends how tight you are for cash.

9. frozenlead macrumors newbie

You can do GPGPU on windows now, if you like, so you can use a copy with your 9600GT.

And, of course, the 9600GT will trump the G94 in GPGPU applications.

10. gremsi26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
    Looking at all the pros and cons, ive decided to go with the MBP with the discrete graphics and dedicated graphics card.

11. hobes270 macrumors regular

How much of a difference will you notice between the 9600 gt 256mb vs the 9600 gt 512mb, if you will be using photoshop and apps like that? Also, gaming?