Macbook pro 15in i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youngsunnz, Nov 7, 2010.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I know someone who is selling this product but how would i make sure that its not stolen and also how can i transfer applecare to my name and put the serial number of the macbook in my name. i put in the features that this macbook has on apples site and it retails for 3,000 and this persons selling it for 1300 on craigslist but he is willing to meet with me to make the transactions and give me the recipets and the apple care reiept and information.

2. applepearpp macrumors regular

what features are you exactly talking about? and what's the spec for the computer? without those it's hard to judge.

apple does charge a very expensive apple tax on ram. so if you're upgrading to 8gb ram and see that apple charges you 400, don't be alarm. nevertheless, post those up and we can help you better.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Do you know if the RAM is Apple or third party? Remember there's also a decline in resell price similar to driving a car off the lot. As far as transferring AppleCare, I think Apple will service the laptop regardless of who originally purchased the laptop as long as you can show proof of purchase from the previous owner. Hell, they might service it regardless. I think the AppleCare only applies to the serial number and not a particular name.

4. applepearpp macrumors regular

apple don't care about ownership unless it is specifically marked by a police or someone as an "attention needed" machine. apple provides its service based on the status of apple care, and apple care status is based on how long ago was the product purchased. so even if you buy a brand new MBP from an ebay vendor, apple will reject apple care if it has been sitting in the warehouse for more than a year.