Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hi guys, on my MacBook Air when I scale the display down one notch (see screen shot) the resolution and screen is very clear and easy to read. However, on my 2021 MacBook Pro 16" when I do this and bring it down one step lower as a scaled resolution, text seems fuzzy and hard to read. Anyone else bummed they can't make things bigger without making them more fuzzy on the MacBook Pro 16? Am I missing something?
Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 7.41.55 PM.png

Reactions: el.jeffe58

TheRain

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Just tried this and the text isn't blurry for me.

It did however completely kill my refresh rate until I restarted my computer. But I'll blame that on on the beta software.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
2020 M1 air - one click down is crystal clear.
That's because one click down from default on the 2020 MBA is 2x scaling.
The default on the 2021 MPB is 2x scaling.
The 2021 MBP has higher ppi (254 ppi) than the 2020 MBA/MPB (227 ppi).

For best sharpness, use 2x scaling.

Most people cannot tell the sharpness isn't quite as good when scaling other than 2x; only those with a very critical eye can tell. Apparently you are one of the latter. The difference in sharpness should be very slight.

If this is not acceptable to you, and you do not like using the default (2x) scaling on the 2021 MPBs, then maybe the higher ppi screens of the 2021 MBPs are not for you.

One possible workaround is to hit Command + (i.e., the shortcut for zoom in) in most apps to enlarge the text (but it is not the same thing, and only works for some content and some apps)

Last edited:

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
That's because one click down from default on the 2020 MBA is 2x scaling.
The default on the 2021 MPB is 2x scaling.
The 2021 MBP has higher ppi (254 ppi) than the 2020 MBA/MPB (227 ppi).

For best sharpness, use 2x scaling.

Most people cannot tell the sharpness isn't quite as good when scaling other than 2x; only those with a very critical eye can tell. Apparently you are one of the latter. The difference in sharpness should be very slight.

If this is not acceptable to you, and you do not like using the default (2x) scaling on the 2021 MPBs, then maybe the higher ppi screens of the 2021 MBPs are not for you.

One possible workaround is to hit Command + (i.e., the shortcut for zoom in) in most apps to enlarge the text (but it is not the same thing, and only works for some content and some apps)
Thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.