• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

stefan.giba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
Hello! I bought my MacBook Pro 16 2 months ago and I noticed that battery capacity dropped. I installed coconutBattery and I notice that its capacity dropped to 95% in 2 months, is it normal? I used it a lot connected to AC, but i usually unplug it and use it on battery power too. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
How many cycles does it say have been used?

I don't doubt that it has lost some battery time but did you check it with coconutBattery when you first bought it? Otherwise you don't know if it has actually dropped 5% since you've had it.

Comment

stefan.giba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
How many cycles does it say have been used?

I don't doubt that it has lost some battery time but did you check it with coconutBattery when you first bought it? Otherwise you don't know if it has actually dropped 5% since you've had it.
Hello! Yes I did check when i bought it too and it was 100%. It has 29 cycles

Comment

BrianBaughn

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
That seems like a significant drop. Since you've already had it two months I suppose you're just going to have to check it periodically and most importantly just before the warranty is up.

Comment

stefan.giba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
That seems like a significant drop. Since you've already had it two months I suppose you're just going to have to check it periodically and most importantly just before the warranty is up.
Ook, so your recommendation would be to get it checked at a service?

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Recalibrate it... discharge the battery fully and then recharge it to 100% and then leave it plugged in for at least a further hour while at 100%

Comment

R473N

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
I have had my macbook pro 16 for three weeks and I'm also disappointed by the battery life. Basically the 11hours is true for browsing on safari with no other apps open and no videos. I'm normally on battery during meetings using chrome on google hangout only and I'd get maybe 2hours tops. Yes, you read that right 2hours!!. I'm disappointed because I swapped this out for my 2017 macbook pro 13" (with i7) and I'm sure I had better batter life on that. I feel that I can't work on battery because battery becomes my main focus instead of a background thing that it's supposed to be.

Comment

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Hello! I bought my MacBook Pro 16 2 months ago and I noticed that battery capacity dropped. I installed coconutBattery and I notice that its capacity dropped to 95% in 2 months, is it normal? I used it a lot connected to AC, but i usually unplug it and use it on battery power too. I don't know what to do.

Any update on this? What is the capacity now?

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Batteries used in any modern Apple device do not need to be 'calibrated', and have not been in over a decade (or more)...

Well on paper maybe, but after calibrating my battery, which apparently I didn’t need to do, my battery health went from 89% to 99%.

Others have followed the procedure and had similar successful results which have stopped them returning their devices.

So I guess in this case experience shows otherwise

Comment

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Well on paper maybe, but after calibrating my battery, which apparently I didn’t need to do, my battery health went from 89% to 99%.

Others have followed the procedure and had similar successful results which have stopped them returning their devices.

So I guess in this case experience shows otherwise

If it was brand new, then the battery chemistry was not adjusted yet and coconutBattery did not report the proper values for the full charge capacity. Anyway, all you are doing is wasting a full battery cycle when you deplete the battery and re-charge it, so you just add unneeded wear to it as theres limited cycles before the battery is obsolete.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
If it was brand new, then the battery chemistry was not adjusted yet and coconutBattery did not report the proper values for the full charge capacity. Anyway, all you are doing is wasting a full battery cycle when you deplete the battery and re-charge it, so you just add unneeded wear to it as theres limited cycles before the battery is obsolete.

I didn’t waste a battery charge, I fixed the incorrect reporting of the battery health. I’ll live with that.

Comment

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
Got my 16” last december, it was never 100% capacity out of the box.. more like 99.7%. It sat there for a couple of days then the plummeting started. 98 to 97 and so on. It was 95% a couple of weeks later and stayed there for a month or two. I had started countless threads about it here and on reddit, but it really never made me feel better about this whole situation as no one really convinced me of anything. Today it was 93% after it had been 95% for a couple of months as I said, so I thought why not calibrate the battery and reset the SMC for the idk how many times, right? After doing so, the health is now 91%. Lowest it’s been :/. I have no idea how under 71 cycles the battery seemingly degraded 9 whole percents. It makes no sense. On older 15”, around 300 cycles the battery still held 95% of its design capacity... this makes the 91% of the 16” with 71 cycles look laughable at best. But oh well. Just ranting.

Oh and I to the AASP last february and they just brushed it off after running some diagnostics on it, and told me it was normal. Oh well. So all in all, I have yet to know why this is happening and if it’s normal or not.. I’ve seen other 16” go as low as 82% with similar cycle count so it’s worrying tbh. But oh well, just letting you know OP.. Same boat here.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.