Macbook Pro 16 inch average battery loss overnight!!

avlnce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Hi, so I have been facing this issue. When i first bought the MacBook a month back, even with most of my apps installed, and with 5-6 apps (Spotify, Music, TextEdit, Word, Safari) open, my battery loss overnight was around 1%-2% in sleep mode. Now, after a month, with same situation/environment, my battery loss overnight is around 5-6% in sleep mode. With over night i mean around 10-12hrs. I even tested it for 12 hrs and even 30-32 hrs. I saw a drop of 5% in 12 hrs and a surprising 7-8% in 30-32 hrs.

I have gone through many macforum articles lately, and I found that most people tend to lose less battery/less battery drop overnight or in like 1-2 days.

Why is there an increase in battery drop from 1-2% to 5-6%?

Just wanted to know, if it’s normal, and I’m just panicking or is there any real fault in my system, since I’m new to MacOS and Macbooks.

Thanks in advance

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Next time you wake it up run Activity Monitor and check the Energy tab to see which apps have been drawing power. Even if you have not changed your application mix, the apps may have changed behavior due to changes the developer made or OS updates.

Reactions: Sanpete

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
One tip: check in Activity Monitor for 'photoanalysisd' process. This is hogging CPU even when the laptop sleeps (it will stay warm after night). As soon as I have fixed that I have no problems with battery drain + overall battery life improved significantly (x2-x3 better...)

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
One tip: check in Activity Monitor for 'photoanalysisd' process. This is hogging CPU even when the laptop sleeps (it will stay warm after night). As soon as I have fixed that I have no problems with battery drain + overall battery life improved significantly (x2-x3 better...)
What is the "fix"?