Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
What do you guys think of this macbook for mid 2024 now that M3 max is out and M4 is about to be released?

My friend is liquidating some of his old stock and wants to sell this to me for $2200 brand new.

I'm still running a Macbook pro 2016 but I'm maxed out on the OS and some of the newer apps can't be installed because of the old OS.

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
Apple sells that machine for $2900, so $2200 seems reasonable to me.
It's crazy that in 2023 this is their flagship model and retails for $4500.

Good machine for the next 7 years?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What do you guys think of this macbook for mid 2024 now that M3 max is out and M4 is about to be released?

My friend is liquidating some of his old stock and wants to sell this to me for $2200 brand new.

I'm still running a Macbook pro 2016 but I'm maxed out on the OS and some of the newer apps can't be installed because of the old OS.

That is going to be an AMAZING night and day difference for you. $2200 sounds really good. The only caution I have is it's not super portable at that size (the M series body is thicker and heavier) so if that's a concern for you see if he has a 14 inch instead maybe. If it's mostly a desk machine you will enjoy the hell out of it. They're beautiful.

Reactions: Saijin

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
you guys got any suggestions where I can sell my macbook pro 2016 ?

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
See what Apple will give you in terms of a gift card at https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in - won't be as much as you can get in a private sale but it's painless & safe.

I think they really only give you 20-25% of a private sale value then turn around and resell for 120%

I’m guessing the only way to sell is through Facebook market place, Craigslist and eBay?

Ps: got my new mac. It’s definitely very responsive and almost no lag.
I did manage to rainbow it a few times though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.