Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2019
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker of MacRumors and I've been using Apple Macbooks for the past 13 years. My 2012 Macbook Pro died in early November which timed perfectly with the 16" launch. I ordered a 16" from Adorama and finally received it back on the 14th. I also ordered a new lg 27UK850-W monitor so I've basically only been using the actual Macbook Pro display as a secondary monitor since I got it. I also have the dark theme on my Macbook Pro. Anyways, I finally took the computer off my desk and traveled home with it for the holidays. While reading some news online on a webpage with a white background I noticed a vertical line in the display. I thought it might be a scratch at first which would have had to have been there when I received the computer. As I said it's been sitting on my desk since I got it and I haven't even cleaned the screen yet. My 2012 Macbook Pro's screen looked perfect until the day the logic board died and I wasn't so gentle with that computer.

Anyways... I can't feel a scratch and I can't see one either while looking at reflections on the display from a bright light source. I'm starting to think it's a line of dead or stuck pixels. I can't see it if there is a dark background, only light or bright colors. I think I may have answered my own question with this thread. I took picture to post and now when I zoom in you can actually see the pixels. It looks like I have stuck pixels in two rows next to each other on the display. I did try resetting the PRAM and that had no effect.

Macbook Screen.jpg

Has anybody else had this issue on their new 16"? I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow.

I'll ask the stupid question as well. This doesn't ship with a piece of clear plastic on the screen does it? The screen has a wavy surface when viewed from the side. I noticed my iPad has this same texture and I did remove the plastic wrap on that. My co-workers XPS is 100% smooth.

Thanks,

TFJ

As a side note, I'm really happy with the LG monitor. It does top off the battery even though it only has 60W of charging capacity. I haven't been doing any heavy tasks with the laptop yet, so I'm not sure if it will keep it at a constant battery level if you're really pushing the system. I do wish the USB ports on the back were 3.0 and the internal Macbook Pro speakers sound better than the ones in the monitor.

TFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2019
Just an update. I took my Macbook Pro to the Apple store last week. The Genius was very nice and helpful. He agreed the display was defective and had a few other people check it out as well since this is the first hardware issue they've seen on a 16" Macbook at their location. He even looked into giving me a new computer of the same configuration to get my problem resolved and so I wouldn't have to be without my work laptop. Well since I ordered a slightly higher spec config, they didn't have one or one that was comparable.

They had the display in stock but they need some sensor that lives next to the keyboard too. He said it would take one day to get that part, but they were a bit backed up in in house repairs and to get me back up and running faster he recommended sending it in. He thought I'd get it back on 12/31 but said realistically 1/2 would be the latest day I'd get my Macbook Pro back.

Well, on the afternoon of 12/31 I received an email saying my repair was taking longer than expected. This morning I received another email saying they couldn't duplicate the problem and my repair was on hold. The service tech sent a bunch of questions to me. I responded with answers and sent him pictures of the issue as well. I called the store and spoke to two people who were very nice and I told them that I really needed my laptop back as I have a work trip next week and have multiple presentations to give with it. They said I would have to go through a special service representative about the issue and they would transfer me.

They just transferred me to the main support number and the woman I spoke to was not helpful in the slightest. She even made a comment that they may hold it for a while and then just return it to me un-repaired but I could take it back in and start the process over again. She said they have no way to get in contact with their own service center.

I have issues with two parts of this.

1.) Why doesn't the service center just follow the repair orders listed? It was sent in for repairs, not a second opinion. This isn't a customer centric procedure.

2.) Why doesn't Apple have the ability to internally communicate on a repair issue? Telling the customer just to start the process over if they send it back unrepaired is ridiculous.

I'm starting to feel like I should have bought an XPS.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Definitely valid questions raised here. I hope Apple ends up treating you better than what they have done so far.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Check out the XPS forums for a while before you decide their customer service is better ...

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Just an update. I took my Macbook Pro to the Apple store last week. The Genius was very nice and helpful. He agreed the display was defective and had a few other people check it out as well since this is the first hardware issue they've seen on a 16" Macbook at their location. He even looked into giving me a new computer of the same configuration to get my problem resolved and so I wouldn't have to be without my work laptop. Well since I ordered a slightly higher spec config, they didn't have one or one that was comparable.

They had the display in stock but they need some sensor that lives next to the keyboard too. He said it would take one day to get that part, but they were a bit backed up in in house repairs and to get me back up and running faster he recommended sending it in. He thought I'd get it back on 12/31 but said realistically 1/2 would be the latest day I'd get my Macbook Pro back.

Well, on the afternoon of 12/31 I received an email saying my repair was taking longer than expected. This morning I received another email saying they couldn't duplicate the problem and my repair was on hold. The service tech sent a bunch of questions to me. I responded with answers and sent him pictures of the issue as well. I called the store and spoke to two people who were very nice and I told them that I really needed my laptop back as I have a work trip next week and have multiple presentations to give with it. They said I would have to go through a special service representative about the issue and they would transfer me.

They just transferred me to the main support number and the woman I spoke to was not helpful in the slightest. She even made a comment that they may hold it for a while and then just return it to me un-repaired but I could take it back in and start the process over again. She said they have no way to get in contact with their own service center.

I have issues with two parts of this.

1.) Why doesn't the service center just follow the repair orders listed? It was sent in for repairs, not a second opinion. This isn't a customer centric procedure.

2.) Why doesn't Apple have the ability to internally communicate on a repair issue? Telling the customer just to start the process over if they send it back unrepaired is ridiculous.

I'm starting to feel like I should have bought an XPS.
This is shoddy service. I would go back to the store and complain.

TFJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2019
I was hoping to get a shipping notification Saturday for my Macbook. It never came. I did call the store and complain, but they said it's now out of their hands since the service center has it. They have no way of contacting the service center which seems pretty ridiculous and the only response I get from their customer service is to check the status on the website. I have a business trip tomorrow which includes a hour and half presentation for 10 engineers and I don't even have a laptop now to present with.

ebobe

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2020
I have an issue with my mac book pro A1502 which shows in the picture below two vertical lines starting yesterday after replacing the WiFi card. Is anyone can how to fix this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_9015.jpg
    IMG_9015.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 153
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.